BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #21
deej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Wireless, means that you can either in a close vacinity be connected to a wireless network, like in a coffee house, or in the true wireless sense, using the phones data circuit, allowing you to do internet, e-mail, IM and other applications no matter where you are. Blue tooth is the close wireless connection (usually less than 10 ft that allows you to connect other devices to the unit with the blue tooth capabilities. For instance I bought a blue tooth keyboard, and a headset. All wireless, and easy to use. Someone could probably explain it better that I can, but that's the best I can do.

deej
Old 07-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #22
luneluxe

Model: none

Ahh, OK. Wireless is for Internet and Bluetooth is for networking devices within your system?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 PM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

"Wireless" is for a Local (or metropolitan) area network. Bluetooth signals are good for a maximum of around 30 ft, so they are extremely limited.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:12 PM   #24
luneluxe

OK, then what is regular cellphone connection?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #25
funkdoctorspok

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by luneluxe
Am I correct in assuming that anything I could use on the web, I could also use on a Blackberry? For example, web-based lists like Ta-Da, Bloglines, Google, Flickr, Furl?

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this ...?
theres an app you can get for the blackberry called berry bloglines
Old 07-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #26
luneluxe

I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:04 AM   #27
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Well, one problem I'm seeing is that PocketMac is only for OS 10.3 and up; I'm still on 10.2.8 and will stay that way till I buy a new Mac, which will probably be a laptop next spring.

Is there a way to use Word on Blackberry? Is there a good lists program? I'm going to go check out Handango ...
Hey... if you purchase a product without having the minimum system requirements, then really, it's your own problem. You say that Good and a Treo based solution is better all around than BES/Blackberry because you choose not to have the minimum requirements?

RIM has for years catered to a niche market, and apparently it has done well for them. Just because you use a mac is no reason to complain about the Blackberry.

And yes, there are products available to let you edit word documents. But I think using office apps on a small device like a Treo or a Blackberry is ridiculous. Get a laptop if you want a computer. I want email and calendar... you know... the stuff the blackberry was designed for.

cd.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:50 PM   #28
luneluxe

Jeez, Corey, what's with the hostility?

I wasn't complaining, just questioning. I may wait to get the Blackberry until I can afford a new Mac with the latest OS next spring. Or I may go ahead and get the BB now. I just have to think it through first, make sure it's going to meet my needs.

And I use Word on my Palm all the time, thank you. It's great. I have an ultralight keyboard and it's a heck of a lot easier than hauling around a laptop.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #29
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

i have seen hosility from corey and thats not it. Thats telling you that you dont have whats required to use a bb and I agree with him on the word and excel I can see maybe viewing them but damn if I want to work on such a small screen
Old 08-01-2005, 08:54 AM   #30
corey@12mile

Quote:
Jeez, Corey, what's with the hostility?

I wasn't complaining, just questioning. I may wait to get the Blackberry until I can afford a new Mac with the latest OS next spring. Or I may go ahead and get the BB now. I just have to think it through first, make sure it's going to meet my needs.

And I use Word on my Palm all the time, thank you. It's great. I have an ultralight keyboard and it's a heck of a lot easier than hauling around a laptop.
It's definately not hostility... but why in the world would you buy a device, that is specifically marketted for sync'ing with outlook to provide contacts, mail, calendar with a little bit of webaccess, that is designed for Windows, and explicitly doesn't support Mac, when you only use a Mac?

I think the people who try and make something do stuff it's not designed or supposed to do is cool. It's hacking in the truest form. But don't shoot down the product because it's not doing what it's not supposed to do.

Everyone knows that for a Domino or Exchange environment, the security, durability and always on, just can't be beat. As soon as you go outside that realm, you are on your own, and have no right to complain or shoot down the product.

I think it's super cool that people are getting these to work outside of the MS environment, but when it doesn't work with whatever version you are running, there is no reason whatsoever to shoot down the product.

Once again, I am not being hostile, I am being realistic. I race motorcycles, I tweaked the motor of the 600 (shaved cranks and stuff) and when it blew up with 80 kilometers (50 miles) on the odometer, did I complain that the bike was bad? No... I accepted that I was using the product outside of the designed intentions. End of story.

cd.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #31
luneluxe

When did I complain? When did I "shoot down the product?"

it's your own problem...

when you choose not to have the minimum requirements?...

using office apps on a small device like a Treo or a Blackberry is ridiculous....

why in the world would you...

These comments all sound pretty hostile to me.

when you only use a Mac?...

I don't only use a Mac. If you'd read my posts, you'd see that I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. I have good reasons for doing so, and I need a PDA/phone combination that works on both. My Palm works on both, and I don't think it's unrealistic to ask whether a Blackberry would. And, from what I have learned, a Blackberry WILL work on both, but I need to have a newer OS on my Mac. Which means I will have to wait until I can afford it.

That's not complaining. That's just figuring it out. I came here for information, not attitude. Maybe I came to the wrong place. Or maybe you need to lighten up.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #32
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

It may work slightly with a mac but not 100% thats still working around the system and outside the minimum requirements. The product out of the box will work with MS not mac.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #33
corey@12mile

To me, my words are words of common sense. My original comment was more directed at ace_2005, as was the shoot down the product thing...

If my comment doesn't include profanity, there is no hostility involved.

Either way... it's cool that people want to use their handhelds with unsupported systems, but if it doesn't work... well, create your own solution to it, or live with it.

Take this as you will, but it's a real world comment.

cd.

Quote:
When did I complain? When did I "shoot down the product?"

it's your own problem...

when you choose not to have the minimum requirements?...

using office apps on a small device like a Treo or a Blackberry is ridiculous....

why in the world would you...

These comments all sound pretty hostile to me.

when you only use a Mac?...

I don't only use a Mac. If you'd read my posts, you'd see that I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. I have good reasons for doing so, and I need a PDA/phone combination that works on both. My Palm works on both, and I don't think it's unrealistic to ask whether a Blackberry would. And, from what I have learned, a Blackberry WILL work on both, but I need to have a newer OS on my Mac. Which means I will have to wait until I can afford it.

That's not complaining. That's just figuring it out. I came here for information, not attitude. Maybe I came to the wrong place. Or maybe you need to lighten up.
Closed Thread