Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 AM   #21
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Honestly if you are wanting a phone for entertainment, and not going to take advantage of the BB dataplan for email and other functionality, I think there are much better "entertainment" phones. It can do MP3, but when you have entire albums that fill up your 4 gig flash, the music player is absolute crap. There is no playlist support. Me and my friend with the same phone are having problems with the media player taking its sweet time bringing up the information on a complete album. Once you start packing it full of MP3 music, you can expect it to start taking a long time to bring up the list. And at least 3 times so far, I have had problems with it only recognizing a few of the songs of a whole album. I had to do a battery pull to get it to recognize the others. The video player works good unless you want to rewind or fast forward through a longer movie if it is high bitrate .... then it is not so good.

As a multimedia and "entertainment" device, you will be much happier with any of their Windows Mobile devices or other feature phone. They typically have wifi also for home network access, but have far superior media players for an entertainment device.

Me personally, I love the email and messaging. I love the way the OS works, and it is perfect for ME. Everyone here will talk up the BB because we are all fans. Im just being realistic. For someone who is looking for an entertainment device, BB is subpar. As a communication device, BB is ultimate.

BB has always been a business tool. And only RECENTLY have they added media support. The entertainment value is in infancy. Does it have potential? Yes. Can it compete with other multimedia devices NOW? I say no.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus

Last edited by numetheus; 11-20-2007 at 02:30 AM..
Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 AM   #22
DrivingManiac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 24319979
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Honestly if you are wanting a phone for entertainment, and not going to take advantage of the BB dataplan for email and other functionality, I think there are much better "entertainment" phones.
Finally a BB fan that speaks the truth. I honestly believe you've been swayed slightly too much by saying there's wifi on the phone. It's by no means normal internet similar to your computer that's on your phone. Read around and there's major gripes about the included browser and I'm not so sure Opera Mini answers MOST of the prayers, just some.

I know that once I get an 8320, I'll be using it for work, personal and school email. I honestly think that if you're planning on using it as a media device, you'll hate the size coming from a razr, and you'll hate the primitive media player. Just browse blackberry.com and you'll see what I mean, it's pretty obvious.

I just know that I've seen so many people in the past year go from a razr to a smartphone, without any idea of how to use the extended features, nor do many of them have the desire. I like to compare it to someone buying a semi-truck when really just a 4 door pickup truck would do perfectly well for daily commuting.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 AM   #23
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingManiac View Post
Finally a BB fan that speaks the truth. I honestly believe you've been swayed slightly too much by saying there's wifi on the phone. It's by no means normal internet similar to your computer that's on your phone. Read around and there's major gripes about the included browser and I'm not so sure Opera Mini answers MOST of the prayers, just some.

I know that once I get an 8320, I'll be using it for work, personal and school email. I honestly think that if you're planning on using it as a media device, you'll hate the size coming from a razr, and you'll hate the primitive media player. Just browse blackberry.com and you'll see what I mean, it's pretty obvious.

I just know that I've seen so many people in the past year go from a razr to a smartphone, without any idea of how to use the extended features, nor do many of them have the desire. I like to compare it to someone buying a semi-truck when really just a 4 door pickup truck would do perfectly well for daily commuting.
A lot of people here are too concerned or proud of the device that is perfect for THEM, they forget that there are different needs by different people. And the BB is not the holy grail that is superior to all. It is PERFECT for what it does. I would not trade my BB for the world (mind you I ALMOST made that mistake with the Tilt, but that was corrected! lol). But, I am not going to talk up its infant-like multimedia support either just because I love my phone so much.

The Op wants an ENTERTAINMENT phone, and has said he will not use the data functionality. So why is everyone recommending something that is so early in infancy and can't compete with other "enternment" phones? Yes yes some of you out there are thinking ... "the music player is good enough for me". But it probably is not for someone looking for entertainment specifically.

To the op .... don't get stuck on this "8320 has wifi" crap, because most feature phones and smartphones do. The 8320 is in no way unique or special just because it has wifi, and like DrivingManiac said, look around because it is not perfect.

I work at a local college and have played with just about every phone out there because we have a lot of tech geeks. Tell me what service and what you are looking for exactly in an Entertainment device, and I will suggest one to you. I won't blindly suggest BlackBerry though, just because I MYSELF, am a fan.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:56 AM   #24
Blaziniflo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yea, if you're not using the BB for work and email, there are definitey better multimedia phones out there. A lot of SEs have better multimedia on them. Even some of the Samsungs. Those also take high capacity memory cards. My advice is to just buy it and try it out. Most stores have 14day instore returns, and some have 30days. I'd ask them and make sure when you buy it. Memory cards can be returned also if you return the phone.

Also, why not the curve? You can get up to 6gigs on them. Sorry if I missed you mentioned you wanted qwerty on your phone for txting.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:04 AM   #25
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziniflo View Post
Yea, if you're not using the BB for work and email, there are definitey better multimedia phones out there. A lot of SEs have better multimedia on them. Even some of the Samsungs. Those also take high capacity memory cards. My advice is to just buy it and try it out. Most stores have 14day instore returns, and some have 30days. I'd ask them and make sure when you buy it. Memory cards can be returned also if you return the phone.

Also, why not the curve? You can get up to 6gigs on them. Sorry if I missed you mentioned you wanted qwerty on your phone for txting.
It depends on your needs. Someone who uses an ipod lets say, has lots of music, and creates playlists based on the mood or situation will absolutely HATE the media player on the curve. It has absolutely no features, and gets very slow if you have a lot of music. I have filled up my entire 4 gig flash with nothing but music, and when I load an album have to wait several seconds for it to start showing me the list. Even a (dare I say it) Windows Mobile device has FAR superiour media playback capabilities.

If he is T-Mobile I suggest the Wing or Dash. BOTH have WIFI, and BOTH are superior multimedia devices. I used to use the Dash myself. I would NEVER ... EVER go back to Windows Mobile now PERSONALLY (because I am so used to BB email and messaging), but for what HE is looking for, those two devices may be just the right entertainment device.

And like someone else said ... try the Wing and Dash in store and pick your form factor. They try it for a while because you can always return it and get the 8320 if you find you dont like it.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 AM   #26
Blaziniflo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
It depends on your needs. Someone who uses an ipod lets say, has lots of music, and creates playlists based on the mood or situation will absolutely HATE the media player on the curve. It has absolutely no features, and gets very slow if you have a lot of music. I have filled up my entire 4 gig flash with nothing but music, and when I load an album have to wait several seconds for it to start showing me the list. Even a (dare I say it) Windows Mobile device has FAR superiour media playback capabilities.

If he is T-Mobile I suggest the Wing or Dash. BOTH have WIFI, and BOTH are superior multimedia devices. I used to use the Dash myself. I would NEVER ... EVER go back to Windows Mobile now PERSONALLY (because I am so used to BB email and messaging), but for what HE is looking for, those two devices may be just the right entertainment device.

And like someone else said ... try the Wing and Dash in store and pick your form factor. They try it for a while because you can always return it and get the 8320 if you find you dont like it.
Yea I had an SDA and another WM phone I can't remember, but I will NEVER go to a WM phone again, and will try to talk anyone looking for one out of it. Randomly calling people, changing profiles, deleting contacts while sitting on my desk is too much for me.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #27
WilliamC

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
The Op wants an ENTERTAINMENT phone, and has said he will not use the data functionality. So why is everyone recommending something that is so early in infancy and can't compete with other "enternment" phones? Yes yes some of you out there are thinking ... "the music player is good enough for me". But it probably is not for someone looking for entertainment specifically.
My new curve is an entertainment phone for me. It may not work for you, but that doesn't mean you should pretty much label everyone a fanboy. To be honest we can recommend phones ad nausem to him and in the end he may hte all of them. Only he can decide which one fits him the best. I came from a Razr as well and did not mind the transition and love the media features of the blackberry. Another may not, but I do, does that make my advice any less useful than yours? No, it does not.

If you really want to get technical then every phones music player is pure crap except for the iphone.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #28
Blaziniflo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
My new curve is an entertainment phone for me. It may not work for you, but that doesn't mean you should pretty much label everyone a fanboy. To be honest we can recommend phones ad nausem to him and in the end he may hte all of them. Only he can decide which one fits him the best. I came from a Razr as well and did not mind the transition and love the media features of the blackberry. Another may not, but I do, does that make my advice any less useful than yours? No, it does not.

If you really want to get technical then every phones music player is pure crap except for the iphone.
Wow get off your high horse fanboy. And yes, anyone that pretty much use a bb as an entertainment phone is pretty much a fanboy. And we're giving him great advice and helping him out by telling him that there are better multimedia devices available than the curve. And yea, your advice is much less useful. Your advice is just dumb.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #29
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Chill please - we don't like c0ck fights.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #30
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziniflo View Post
Wow get off your high horse fanboy. And yes, anyone that pretty much use a bb as an entertainment phone is pretty much a fanboy. And we're giving him great advice and helping him out by telling him that there are better multimedia devices available than the curve. And yea, your advice is much less useful. Your advice is just dumb.
Hey hey hey we dont need that kind of talk mr! LOL He just has his own opinion. I just have mine because I have played with just about every phone out there between A) my habbit of buying 3 to 4 pda phones every year and B) my being around tech students all day playing with THEIR gadgets. And personally, out of ALL of the devices that I have played with, I was simply saying that BB was my least favorite as an entertainment device. I was just putting out there that there are better ones. ESPECIALLY if you play games on your device .. ESPECIALLY. BB is DEFINITELY not the one to suggest if entertainment also means games.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #31
visi0nX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2157A6BC

Wow, i didn't notice my thread go this far. Sorry i haven't been responding. Trust me, I've been studying all the other phones from T-mobile that look like I'd might rather have. Blackberrys UI looks 10times better than anything else and i love the full keyboard. Also the screen size is amazing, and all the entertainment stuff I'm interested in looks perfectly fine on the Curve, especially coming from a razr v3 user. I liked the t-mobile wing when i saw it and that was going to be a keeper for me but i hate the clutter of windows mobile in the UI and the scratchy lag move when you pull the keyboard out on that phone both really turned me away from it. I don't just take in consideration of what the phone can do, It has to look good(not a random stupid design) has to look like it would feel good in the hand, have a full keyboard that looks like the keys are easy to press, the UI has to be good looking and not kidish(sidekick im talking to you) and also not look like t-mobiles new shadow UI which is one of the worst UI's i have EVER seen.

I've been studying a lot of phones and the only one I would go for right now if i could would obviously be Iphone so the Curve looks next best to me.

Last edited by visi0nX; 11-21-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #32
visi0nX
Thumbs Must Hurt

And the dash, same thing as the wing. Can't stand the windows mobile UI, it's not the WORST but i prefer BB's anyday. Also the dash only has a 1.3mp camera and i do take a decent amount of pictures. Based on that there is nothing better T-mobile has that is better than the BB Curve. And i will not use anything smaller than the Curves LCD size ever again. And like i said, the only other one i could truly see myself having is the Iphone, damn yous at&t! damn yous all to hell! ;)

Last edited by visi0nX; 11-21-2007 at 12:41 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #33
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by visi0nX View Post
Wow, i didn't notice my thread go this far. Sorry i haven't been responding. Trust me, I've been studying all the other phones from T-mobile that look like I'd might rather have. Blackberrys UI looks 10times better than anything else and i love the full keyboard. Also the screen size is amazing, and all the entertainment stuff I'm interested in looks perfectly fine on the Curve, especially coming from a razr v3 user. I liked the t-mobile wing when i saw it and that was going to be a keeper for me but i hate the clutter of windows mobile in the UI and the scratchy lag move when you pull the keyboard out on that phone both really turned me away from it. I don't just take in consideration of what the phone can do, It has to look good(not a random stupid design) has to look like it would feel good in the hand, have a full keyboard that looks like the keys are easy to press, the UI has to be good looking and not kidish(sidekick im talking to you) and also not look like t-mobiles new shadow UI which is one of the worst UI's i have EVER seen.

I've been studying a lot of phones and the only one I would go for right now if i could would obviously be Iphone so the Curve looks next best to me.
Well thats good then. I am a huge fan of BlackBerry. I would not trade my 8310 for the world. It makes a superior messaging device. The UI is a lot more simple and easier to navigate, and is much snappier than Windows Mobile. And overall the device looks sexy. I just have a problem with its entertainment value. In January, when my contract expires on my other line, I am getting an iPhone and keeping my BB around only for messaging and email, and using the iPhone for general music, video, web browsing, and voice.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #34
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by visi0nX View Post
And the dash, same thing as the wing. Can't stand the windows mobile UI, it's not the WORST but i prefer BB's anyday. Also the dash only has a 1.3mp camera and i do take a decent amount of pictures. Based on that there is nothing better T-mobile has that is better than the BB Curve. And i will not use anything smaller than the Curves LCD size ever again. And like i said, the only other one i could truly see myself having is the Iphone, damn yous at&t! damn yous all to hell! ;)
LOL just switch to AT&T and have both like I will! I just wish AT&T would roll out an email only plan like the other carriers are doing.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #35
visi0nX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well thats good then. I am a huge fan of BlackBerry. I would not trade my 8310 for the world. It makes a superior messaging device. The UI is a lot more simple and easier to navigate, and is much snappier than Windows Mobile. And overall the device looks sexy. I just have a problem with its entertainment value. In January, when my contract expires on my other line, I am getting an iPhone and keeping my BB around only for messaging and email, and using the iPhone for general music, video, web browsing, and voice.

Haha i don't blame you. I would have gotten the iPhone so quick if i was at&t. If unlocked iPhones weren't so damn expensive :( Oh well i have no problem going with blackberry, I've been looking at the curve and other phones for a couple months now. And now It has come down to the Curve. The only other phone i was considering was the razr2 but i quickly realized how much better the curve was considering they're almost exactly the same price! I don't think I'll ever go down razr's path again.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #36
visi0nX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
LOL just switch to AT&T and have both like I will! I just wish AT&T would roll out an email only plan like the other carriers are doing.
Doing that would cost me about the same as if i were to just get an unlocked iPhone from ebay, the difference that is from the normal price of it if i were to switch to AT&T for the contract breaking price. Which is a little to much :o
Closed Thread