BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 04-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #21
Chububbly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 250FC295
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Please Login to Remove!

to send an attachment you have to be in the attachment itself, click the extended menu button and there is an option to send within there! I had to ask some sales guy who turned up for a meeting here once.

Incase anyone was interested, I too evaluated this device for my company and after 2 weeks with have given the its just not right, you'll get all the usual people wanting it for the golf and other games and not its functionality. Also in the UK Blackberry connect is yet a fully supported platform, so that also swayed the decision some what.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 AM   #22
itcontractorltd

Model: 7100
Carrier: o2
Default Nokia 9300

Hiya,

I am currently testing a nokia 9300 in a BlackBerry enviroment. We have a blind user and his speech software will not work with any of the BlackBerry devices, so we are told by Vodafone.

I have installed the BlackBerry Connect software and also the speech software without any problems. No here are the problems.....It will only receives emails when it is attached to the computer. Despite him being on the BES as a user and it appears to be working ok, it will not work wirelessly. I have been onto the Vodafone helpdesk, who keep suggesting format it and install the software again or generate a new encryption key. Both of which do not seem to have resolved the issue.

I have noticed that when you are in any of the messaging folders, there is an icon of a mailbox....bit it has a line crossing it out. This obviously is not correct. I have made sure that the service is running on the device.

Please can someone help?

Ash
Old 04-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #23
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Summary Day 9:

I am not liking the weight of this device. I have been carrying it around without a holster, in my pocket, and it is heavey.

No Vibrate!? Are you kidding me? I knew this before I started using it, thought maybe I would get used to it. NOPE! Vibrate is a BASIC function Nokia. Fire the engineer who recomended this feature be left out, and fire the guy who approved the idea.

The device has crashed approximately 4 times now. Recently, without me actually working on anything, the bluetooth "server" on the device simply stopped working and displayed a Bluetooth error message which was irreconcilable until I performed a hard reset.

When sending a document, they are not sent as an attachment, rather the text is extracted and added to a message, which can be edited.

Speaking of documents, some BASIC auto-editing which exists on the BB is missing from the Symbian OS: When typing a message capitals at the beginning of a sentence do not occur automatically. There is no concept of using the space key in an email filed to enter "@" and "." symbols.

You cannot perform lookups against the GAL, as I have already mentioned, but this has been a feature I miss more than expected.

Executing/Launching programs is S.L.O.W. in comparison to the 8700c. I actually executed a program and the device took a good 30seconds to display any sign the program had launched. (the program was Idokorro's Mobile Admin). This program worked effortlessly on my 8700c.

If you see me on the highway, I'll be one of the idiots tapping out text messages while I head to the office. With this device, driving with one hand and messaging with the other is IMPOSSIBLE. This device REQUIRES two hands to type or perform ANY task really. Combined with the weight, this device is not for multi-taskers, unless you want to drop it and break it. When I say IMPOSSIBLE, I really mean it!!! (Those who can palm a basketball effortlessly may argue with me). Another example: I was trying to hold my crying 4month old daughter the other day and tap out an email, just not possible! ...I dropped the baby! (JK).

As far as I know, you only get Speakerphone with the clamshell open. I cannot find the speakerphone feature with it closed. Odd, but I think this is because the speaker is located on the face of the keyboard, inside the device when it is closed.

The availability of software for the Symbian OS is far more extensive than for any of the Blackberr OS's. For what I need, the software selection on BB is acceptable, however, I could see the need to use software which was not available for the BB but was for the Symbian OS.

I LOVE the "Timed" Profile idea. What is this you ask? It is a feature whereby you can change the profile temporarily. Say, for instance, you are headed into a meeting and you want to set the profile to 'silent' temporarily. You select the profile and instead of clicking on "select" you choose "timed" and set an expiration time for the profile you selected. Set it for the time the meeting is to end, and automatically the profile reverts to what it was before you set the "timed" profile. I am ALWAYS forgetting to change the profile back after a meeting or a similar situation.

I like the wide screen on this device. It makes browsing much easier on the eyes. The font appears as small, but at 32, I don't have a problem seeing the screen yet.

I am getting really itchy with this thing. I set a deadline of 4 weeks with this device. I don't know if I can hold out.

If you have any specific questions about features, PM me or add them to this thread and I will try to review them.

Last edited by BES admin; 04-24-2006 at 09:11 PM..
Old 04-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #24
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I gave up after less than two weeks. My overall experience with the device was good, but it just didn't compare to my Blackberry 8700c.

The most stark pros and cons:

A wide variety of software for the 9300.
More like a "phone" in it's design/ look and feel.
Memory card slot (Expands device to <= 2gb)
Full bluetooth support.
Wide interior screen.
Timed profiles.

Heavy/Clunky
Launching programs and navigating are slooow.
No Wireless contact synchronization.
*Full lookups against the GAL are not possible.
One-handed operation when open is IMPOSSIBLE.
**No "predictive typing," not even minimal, when creating messages or documents.

My summary: If you don't like the large waffle-like Blackberry, consider the 7100 series Blackberries. If you do not like the combined keys of the device, then maybe consider the Blackberry Connect, either on the 9300 or on another available device. Blackberry connect doesn't even come close to comparing to the One and only Blackberry OS and device. If given the choice I would have absolutely no problem choosing the 8700c over the Nokia 9300. In general I would also have no problem choosing a full Blackberry OS over a Blackberry connect enabled device.

*Lookups against the GAL are limited to verifying email addresses when sending messages. Looking up and searching for Names, Numbers etc. are NOT possible.

**Letters at the beginning of sentences and paragraphs are not automatically capitalized. Shortcuts and auto-correcting are not available.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #25
h-town8

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin

I gave up after less than two weeks. My overall experience with the device was good, but it just didn't compare to my Blackberry 8700c.

The most stark pros and cons:

A wide variety of software for the 9300.
More like a "phone" in it's design/ look and feel.
Memory card slot (Expands device to <= 2gb)
Full bluetooth support.
Wide interior screen.
Timed profiles.

Heavy/Clunky
Launching programs and navigating are slooow.
No Wireless contact synchronization.
*Full lookups against the GAL are not possible.
One-handed operation when open is IMPOSSIBLE.
**No "predictive typing," not even minimal, when creating messages or documents.

My summary: If you don't like the large waffle-like Blackberry, consider the 7100 series Blackberries. If you do not like the combined keys of the device, then maybe consider the Blackberry Connect, either on the 9300 or on another available device. Blackberry connect doesn't even come close to comparing to the One and only Blackberry OS and device. If given the choice I would have absolutely no problem choosing the 8700c over the Nokia 9300. In general I would also have no problem choosing a full Blackberry OS over a Blackberry connect enabled device.

*Lookups against the GAL are limited to verifying email addresses when sending messages. Looking up and searching for Names, Numbers etc. are NOT possible.

**Letters at the beginning of sentences and paragraphs are not automatically capitalized. Shortcuts and auto-correcting are not available.

BESadmin,

Great information, thanks. I had a couple of questions as I'm now deciding on the 8700 vs. the Nokia 9300.

1. From purely a form-factor point of view (specifically, in using the device as a phone to make calls, and not so much e-mail), how would you compare the two?

I will need to access e-mail but I am not, nor do I have a desire to be, the "mad e-mailer". I'll use the phone portion 80-90% of the time and the data/scheduling/e-mail portion 10-20% of the time. I will reply to clients. I will tap out a message to the wife. I may use the web to get directions, or if I'm bored sitting in an airport read some news. But the rest of the time I'll be using the phone, dialing from the contact manager, etc.

For this type of user, what advantages/disadvantages do you see for the 8700 over the 9300?

2. How well does the phone portion of the 9300 work? One-handed lookup/dialing from the address book, etc. (I do a lot of that, usually with a coffee, or worse, a steering wheel in the other hand!). *Note that I could care less about the ability to do one-handed e-mail.

3. Forgive the stupid question, but what is the "GAL" you refer to?

Thank you!

Chris