BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What do you think about AudibleAir?
I do not listen to AudioBooks. 19 27.14%
I am an Audible customer but do not want to use my Blackberry for AudioBooks. 9 12.86%
I use AudibleAir and it meets my needs. 1 1.43%
I use AudibleAir, but it needs to be improved. 32 45.71%
Grimlin is lame, I don't even know what this is, gimme a beer 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #21
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I sent my list (almost verbatim) to Audible and this is the reply I've received (in essence a non-reply):

I'd like to offer my apologies for all the issues that you had encountered with our software as well as for the tardy response. Although I believe our QA and developers are working on improving our applications, but I will make sure to forward this incident to the appropriate department so they may take your points as bugs that indeed need to be addressed. I do want to thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and I will make sure to keep you posted of any information I may receive in this regard.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #22
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: K1
PIN: Positive Intrinsic Negative???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowhynot View Post
I sent my list (almost verbatim) to Audible and this is the reply I've received (in essence a non-reply):
I bounced several emails back and forth with them on the subject. Not to say we will actually see anything, but I am optimistic and persistent.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #23
mybootorg

Model: 7100T

I too, have been an audible customer for many years. And I've been using AudibleAir since the first beta. Boy has it come A LONG WAY. I was so happy that they finally fixed the clicking and audio dropouts during re-buffer that I've forgotten to get upset about anything else.

My only problem with AudibleAir is a big one. It doesn't support BES so I can't download any of my books from my library. Instead, I just drop the audible books on my Memory Card and they show up in my local library.

So I can't vouch for how well the "Download 5 minutes of the book" feature works.

Fast forwarding and reverse are a little painful sometimes.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #24
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

I installed the Audible Beta, but the Audible application I use to add books to my Zen V Plus doesn't show any hardware support for the RIM at all. So I did as was suggested here, and decided to just copy over the audio file manually. But where shall the file go? Anywhere? Can I create an Audible directory? What's best?

Alex
Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #25
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

When you view your SD card it needs to have two folders: one titled "blackberry" which should have four sub-folders - music, pictures, ringtones and videos, and another folder called "music" AudibleAir won't ready out of the Blackberry folder.

Within the music folder (not to be confused with the sub-folder under blackberry - this is at the root level - you create a sub-folder titled "audible." This is where you drag your downloaded audible books.

Make sense?

I think if you go to set up the AudibleAir from the application itself it will automatically create that folder and subfolder.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #26
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybootorg View Post
It doesn't support BES so I can't download any of my books from my library.
Go to options. Advanced options. Service Books. Find the Desktop (IPPP).

Press menu and select Delete.

When you relaunch audible, it will be forced through the Carrier connection instead of the BES. When you are finished testing, go back to service books, press menu and select undelete.

I do this all the time when testing apps. ...or when I don't want my IP traffic accidentally going through my BES.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #27
djonathang
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I have not participated in a poll before, but this is a good place to start.

I am an voracious listener of audio books, and have been a subscriber of Audible.Com for years. I am entirely dissapointed with the Audible interface as it relates to the BB. Not only is the interface clumsy as described by other postings on the poll, but there is a chirp/Urp! from some sort of memory reloading that ruins the entire listen. I believe I will abandon my subscription shortly unless this is fixed. Feel free to contact me directly if you want more detailed input.

Thanks for the inquiry.

DG
Old 10-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #28
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

PIN: 2434CB8D

I am also a long time Audible customer. I've purchased as many as 8 books in a month, and never less than 2. I commute every business day, and I listen for about 140 per week day. So I go through quite a bit.

So far, one the best experiences I have had with Audio Books is the Creative Zen V Plus, or the iPod Nano. The Zen has better features for audio books. It's very small, very light-weight, and best used with audible's own sync software.

It would be nice to have the one device that does it all, but if this causes me to carry an extra battery, then I'm right back where I started as the Zen V is barely bigger than a battery and it last for a long long time.

I think the Audible software needs a lot more polish. It's in beta, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. But what would be nice to have right now, is sync with the audible sync application. At least create a total package we can beta test. I don't like this disc mode stuff at all. The menus need to make a bit more sense too. When I was trying to download, it could be more clear that I am choosing to download. There should also be a status bar for the download of the library list.

Honestly, I was so un-impressed with it, I uninstalled it just minutes after installing it. That's not to say I won't try it again later. It's not to say to Audible that you guys are wasting your time. You're not. I think a RIM player is a great thing. But right now, it's not even ready for beta trials in my opinion. It needs that connection with the audible PC music manager. I don't want to download OTA. I mean, sometimes I will, but mostly I won't.

What we want I think is to see the book, in the audible manager, and tell the audible manager to load a book into the RIM. Once on the RIM, we want the menus to make a little more sense. And we want to see the chapters in the timeline of the book so we can chapter skip. I see you have bookmarks there, so that's a good thing. I need to be able to choose varying audio quality settings. It seems that only option 4 exists, and I have always been fine with option 3 audio. And it saves download time, which is something you want in an OTA install.

I didn't test what happens when you get a call on the Blackberry while listening to an audio book. Hopefully, the book is paused for the duration of the call, and then resumes once the call is concluded. Like the Treo version, hopefully there is an option for background playback.

Best,

Alex
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #29
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
II didn't test what happens when you get a call on the Blackberry while listening to an audio book. Hopefully, the book is paused for the duration of the call, and then resumes once the call is concluded. Like the Treo version, hopefully there is an option for background playback.
It doesn't pause when a call is received, unlike the RIM media player. That is a huge problem.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #30
runningshepherd1

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default audible player almost working well on 8830

I have a Verizon 8830 with the Audible player and a couple of books stored on my media card. Both books play fine with sound coming out the 8830's speaker. But I cannot get sound into my stereo bluetooth headphones nor can I get sound into a wired plugged in headphone, even though the regular media player and the normal phone sounds-ringers work fine with bluetooth and a wired headset.

I've been listening to Audible for a number of years, first on an iPaq Handheld and recently on a Garmin Nuvi 350. The Blackberry is almost negating both previous devices. email, IM, stereo music to my bluetooth headphones, browser, GPS (when Verizon decides to stop disabling it), and almost an audio book player.

Tim
Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 AM   #31
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro

I've never had any interest in audible books, but I am beginning to change my mind. The books would have to be accessible, though.

I listen to Leo Laporte's TWIT. The show was sponsored by audible.com for several months, and whenever Leo plugged the service, he said that the books are plain MP3 files that you can listen anywhere. Isn't that true? Why is this dedicated player everyone is complaining about required?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #32
rjbthor

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

I have purchased over 150 audio books over the last few years and now desire to use one device, my bb8300 for all mobile functions. the AirAudible sucks. It works on and off. I have upgraded my BB's OS software and still it sucks. I have to rip the books to mps via noteburner then join all the small files via Audition. Then I send them to the sdcard . Huge process for enjoying Audio Books. I will have to purchase a new NANO to avoid the extra steps. I hate buggy JAVA apps.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #33
blane64

I use an iPOD that is connected to my truck stereo to listen. I tried AudibleAir but not sure what device I used, it may have been my 8525. the ipod works so well, that I am poorly motivated to try anything else.

However, you are not alone. I don't even listen to music or talk radio anymore. I always have an audio book running when I am driving. I am such a geek. Actually, techno-dweeb is my preferred term....
Old 11-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #34
ValB626
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130

Have a new Pearl from Verizon with a media card. Am a longtime audible listener, too. Thanks to the tips on this forum, I was able to download audibleair and have succeeded in downloading the free content.

I was also able to move some of my downloaded books from my computer to my Pearl media card, but I get a message that I can't listen to them without logging into audible, which I've yet to be able to do. I've entered my UN and PWD as suggested, with no caps, and am just not connecting.

When I look at the browser settings under Advanced Options/Browser, I have no idea what they should be for Verizon. Anyone know what they should be for Verizon?

Has anyone logged in to audibleair via a verizon BB, using your normal UN and PWD?

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #35
jjhataylor

I have the same problem, except I'm on a 8830 with Verizon and BES. Audible told me I would not be able to log in because of the way my employer has configured BES. Since there isn't a direct sync program for the 8830, I had to cancel the service. Have you been able to get access in some other way since you posted?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #36
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Default Audible and BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhataylor View Post
I have the same problem, except I'm on a 8830 with Verizon and BES. Audible told me I would not be able to log in because of the way my employer has configured BES. Since there isn't a direct sync program for the 8830, I had to cancel the service. Have you been able to get access in some other way since you posted?
You need to temporarily delete your Desktop IPPP service book under options/advanced/servicebooks.

Launch Audible

It will then connect using your carrier network. On some devices, you will need to set your APN settings for this to work. A simple search on these forums will get that for you.

Once you have logged in once, you can undelete the service book and your device will continue to function with content transferred to a media card.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #37
knipknup

Hey Grimlin, I have also been an audible member for several years. I used audibleair with my samsung i730 pdaphone last year and it worked very well. However, I am having problems with it on the 8830. I believe it is Verizon's fault (as most everything that doesn't work on their phones is).

When I download a book, it always stops at 1.5MB and it won't work until I reboot my BB. Do you have the same problem?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #38
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipknup View Post
stops at 1.5MB and it won't work until I reboot my BB. Do you have the same problem?
No, but I do not download via the BB. I move my stuff over to the MicroSD card from the PC. Just seems easier since I am on BES and would have to constantly kick the service books. I would think that would be a limitation of the BIS though. They may be limiting how much can be pulled down per connection. Anyone got any facts on that one?

You might have more luck pulling the books down in chunks instead. I liked the thought of that, but can't set it up. Also, remember that this is a generic J2Me app so there are a lot of blackberry specifics that they are not taking into account. One of those could be hindering you as well.

On a side note, I agree that VZW sucks. We have a lot of those in house, but I am thankfully on an 8820 and only have to muck about with alx files to fix what ATT screws up.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #39
knipknup

I have resorted to loading manually but it would be very nice to have the WSJ daily loaded while I sleep as it did on my Axim and my i730.

I did talk to audible support and they believe it is a verizon issue. I also noticed the "verizon phones are not supported" is stated on a few of the audible help pages.

I'm going to try setting up to pull chunks and see how far I get.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #40
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Mine has taken to playing out of order in about 2min slices. Also sometimes decides to quit playing audio, but continues to tick forward. It almost seems that it is a fragmented file. Gonna take everything off of my card and recopy.

It is about time to start hammering audible for an update.

Last edited by Grimlin; 11-26-2007 at 07:41 AM..
Closed Thread