BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:48 AM   #181
h3llb0und

Model: 7100I

Please Login to Remove!

I have been following this thread for a few days, I just got a blackberry 7100I .. I also had to recently contact nextel due to some MMS problems.. during the course of it I was told by the rep that there will be a release on the 12th.. He said one of the main reasons for the release was that many users were having MMS problems simular to mine.. I asked about media abilities, mp3, etc and he said he didnt know for sure, but doubted they would do anything as far as that goes..

Thats what my random service rep said anyway, take it for what it's worth..
Thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #182
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafe1er
So this guy Mike tells me that the software 4.2 is going to be coming out it will be soon but he can not tell me how soon because of the possiblity of investers finding out and running to there brokers to buy more stock.
(understandable) but what is not understanabe is why it took me three freakin hours and 7 jackasses to answer one freankin question????!!!!!!!!
...only to get an incorrect answer. As tmushy points out, OS 4.2 will not make an appearance on the 7100i. There will likely be one more major 4.1 release, and possibly another maintenance release after that, but for what it's worth, the 7100i is approacing end of life.

...also, to correct something I stated earlier, I misread a lot of things and NTT DoCoMo will not be releasing the 7100i but rather the 8707h (GSM/UMTS). So the fate of the 7100i is likely over. Might be a good time to think about switching providers.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #183
purephase
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
...also, to correct something I stated earlier, I misread a lot of things and NTT DoCoMo will not be releasing the 7100i but rather the 8707h (GSM/UMTS). So the fate of the 7100i is likely over. Might be a good time to think about switching providers.
Thanks for the update. As much as PTT (or iDEN specifically) may be popular, it's use is declining. We're re-evaluating our repeater investment and device contracts with the idea of moving to a faster network. PTT might be brought back with UMTS or EVDO Rev. A but I'm working on making it a much lower priority and going back to PIN messaging (which I've always preferred anyway).
Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #184
samcarroll
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase
Thanks for the update. As much as PTT (or iDEN specifically) may be popular, it's use is declining. We're re-evaluating our repeater investment and device contracts with the idea of moving to a faster network. PTT might be brought back with UMTS or EVDO Rev. A but I'm working on making it a much lower priority and going back to PIN messaging (which I've always preferred anyway).
i have to say i am a bit dissapointed after seeing some of my friends' blackberrys how much Nextel| lacks with technology in thier blackberrys...if i didnt use the PTT a whole bunch for work and still had 2 yrs left on my contract id switch to another provider.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #185
TylerBoneZJoneZ

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcarroll
i have to say i am a bit dissapointed after seeing some of my friends' blackberrys how much Nextel| lacks with technology in thier blackberrys...if i didnt use the PTT a whole bunch for work and still had 2 yrs left on my contract id switch to another provider.
They say if you switch to Sprint they wave any penalizing fees for breaking contract before it is up, but there is still the worry about the PTT (Direct Connect) I understand were you are coming from on that aspect. Does SPRINT have good Blackberrys?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #186
GoblueNextel

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBoneZJoneZ
They say if you switch to Sprint they wave any penalizing fees for breaking contract before it is up, but there is still the worry about the PTT (Direct Connect) I understand were you are coming from on that aspect. Does SPRINT have good Blackberrys?
I am now in the process of switching NON BB Users (4) from Nextel to Sprint. You are correct that you can switch and not be penalized. HOWEVER if you are not eligible for a UPGRADE Pricing, you get stuck paying for a new phone at almost full price and you of course you NEDD to have a new phone.

I will be switching over 4 BB's to SPRINT come first of year. Hopefully we will have more to choose from then the 8703e and the 7130e. I am hoping some kind of PERL.

GOBLUE!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #187
samcarroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblueNextel
I am now in the process of switching NON BB Users (4) from Nextel to Sprint. You are correct that you can switch and not be penalized. HOWEVER if you are not eligible for a UPGRADE Pricing, you get stuck paying for a new phone at almost full price and you of course you NEDD to have a new phone.

I will be switching over 4 BB's to SPRINT come first of year. Hopefully we will have more to choose from then the 8703e and the 7130e. I am hoping some kind of PERL.

GOBLUE!
are those no good?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #188
GoblueNextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcarroll
are those no good?
We the 8703e is great for my guy that has the 7520. The other 3 of us have 7100i's and the feel of the 7130e's they just feel cheap and not solid.

If we are switching and will not be able to upgrade for a while I would like something different as in a Perl type. But the 8703e from what I have hear is awesome and we would have no problem with that one, we just want a PERL.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #189
woodi68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 3049E01C

I love my 7130e. It's a little heavier than my old 7100g, but MUCH faster and a better OS. I've seen several people say it feels cheap. Not sure why. I certainly don't find it any "cheaper" than my other 7100g.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #190
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Anyone want to call Nextel and press them for an update?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #191
pdshepherd

Model: 8310

I am game for at least asking the question. Does anyone have any decent contact information that we can use? (Other than just calling the 800 number)

I have a "Corporate Customer Care" number of 800-390-7545, does anyone know if that is a place worth starting?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #192
TylerBoneZJoneZ

I just really kinda relized how bad that RIM and the Blackberry kinda sucks in my opinion... The 7100i felt like a plastic cheap "toy" in my opinion, now don't get me wrong the Perl looks like a pretty sweet BB Device, but not the 7100i. Just not worth it and didn't meet my standard, so I switched to the i870. RIP Blackberry 7100i.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #193
kloogy

Interesting. I just got done with my i870. I thought it was a worthless overpriced pile of crap. I took a hammer to it after I got my i7100. I guess it depends on what you use you phone for. The camera on it sucks to all heck, so it's best to not even have one. To each his own I guess.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #194
TylerBoneZJoneZ

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloogy
Interesting. I just got done with my i870. I thought it was a worthless overpriced pile of crap. I took a hammer to it after I got my i7100. I guess it depends on what you use you phone for. The camera on it sucks to all heck, so it's best to not even have one. To each his own I guess.
I think the 7100i Is overpriced myself, And has some false advertisement too it, with the ringtone situation... I mean even one of Nextel/Sprints cheapest phones *free* phones you can get even supports REAL music tones, I can't remember the last time I had a phone that only supported .mid or .midi tones oh yeah I can back about hmmm 7 years ago (if not longer) it was my first phone it was a Nokia Pre-paid Cingular Wireless cell phone, SINCE then all my phones have been able to play REAL tones no crappy Midis, and even mp3 capability (like the i870) The blackberry doesn't even support video for christ sake, Unlike the i870 which does. All in all the 7100i is a PRETTY good tool if you do alot of email and business related task, but for a nice sleek design and "new age, top of the line phone" its no were close. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #195
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100

I have had the I870 the I930 and the 7100I and now the 8100... Guess what the pearl is the best out of all of them for EVERYTHING it can do. The i870 cant do emails as good they cant surf the web as fast and the only thing I am missing is video recording well guess what All videos are crap on a cell phone so I dont feel like Im missing anything
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 10-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #196
TylerBoneZJoneZ

7100i=SUCKY

Last edited by TylerBoneZJoneZ; 10-20-2006 at 10:23 PM..
Old 10-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #197
riddick021

Model: 800w
Carrier: Sprint

Am I missing something here? I just got the 7100i and I think its a great Phone I got the SERO plan so Im paying about $60 a month which i don't think is too bad and Im hoping to get some more discounts before Im locked into the contract. Is everyone upset about not having real ringtones is that all thats wrong? I don't see how this is important in a business device. Personally I think the 7100i has a much more professional look than the perl I feel like the perl is kind of gimmicky like SonyEricsson's. This is just my personal opinion feel free to disagree I dont really care. But if someone could tell me of any real problems with this phone I would really appreciate it. Internet speed is not a concern because I dont see why anyone would pay $90-$100 a month to get high speed on a phone that doesnt have a screen large enough to make use of it.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #198
cek151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick021
Am I missing something here? I just got the 7100i and I think its a great Phone I got the SERO plan so Im paying about $60 a month which i don't think is too bad and Im hoping to get some more discounts before Im locked into the contract. Is everyone upset about not having real ringtones is that all thats wrong? I don't see how this is important in a business device. Personally I think the 7100i has a much more professional look than the perl I feel like the perl is kind of gimmicky like SonyEricsson's. This is just my personal opinion feel free to disagree I dont really care. But if someone could tell me of any real problems with this phone I would really appreciate it. Internet speed is not a concern because I dont see why anyone would pay $90-$100 a month to get high speed on a phone that doesnt have a screen large enough to make use of it.
good point.i like my 7100i i was going to change provider's but desided agianst it for now.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #199
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100

everyone is upset at the fact that a new OS has not been released for the 7100i ever. By the looks of it that will be nextels last BB ever they are getting ride of nextel slowly and switching eveything over to sprint or to hybreds that have the PTT but run on CDMA network. Give it some time and you will start to see some small things that are a pain I thought also when I got the 7100i that it was the best phone ever and then about 3 months later started to really hate it for the little things that It cant do. the BB its self is as slow as can be just try and open a picture of a large PDF sent from work? you will be there for 15 minutes downloading it and then waiting for the OS to process it. To each there own but I learned the hard way on Nextels 7100i
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #200
tmushy

Model: 7520

switching to verizon in december i dont see nextels future to be a bright one after this merger. Customer service is already going down the drain. At least with other providers I can pay the monthly fee and have fast internet unlike the 7100i
Closed Thread