rock_win
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Arrow How to update an application Silently

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

i want to update my application Silently in the background ... without giving any screens to the user.

i think i can try client/server push for it... but still not sure how much it will transfer and how the COD will be overwritten

Please help me for Updating my application.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Wow. I am sure people will be dying to help you......

Just for laughs can we hear you reason? I can't wait....

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
rock_win

well, new versions of the app. will be released.. and i would definetly want my users to have the latest one, but as in J2me ... it prompts to update the version showing all the facts about the new version and also giving an option to the user.

This is something i would like to skip and just make my app. check the server for a recent version .. if there is one then it will download it/ update it , if not then continue.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
bemshaswing
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7103
Carrier: Verizon

This is possible, but unless you're extremely crafty with your package selections, the application update will prompt the device for a reboot. This is because the jvm needs to reboot and apparently that's doable only if the whole device goes with it
Old 08-07-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
rock_win

Thanks bemshaswing

Currently in the initial phase i can avoid any packages, so it can be like just one file that connects to the server, hitting the URL of the new COD.

And its ok if the device reboots after the update but my major concern is to skip the screens where it shows details/warning like "Do you want to download this app." , "App. properties.." etc

Please suggest me on how i can do this.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

this surely isn't possible as what your asking for is a worm. those screens are there for a reason - to give the user some protection
Old 08-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
rock_win

But i have read it in docs like Blackberry Browser push (whitepaper) that server can push the entire application to the client and even show a different icon if updates are present.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

but that would be pushed by your corporate bes no?

(i'm looking at this from a 3rd party developer outside the bes sandbox - could be wrong about the requirements here though)

Last edited by jfisher; 08-07-2007 at 10:18 AM..
Old 08-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
fbrimm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Silent app upgrades can only happen if pushed from the BES, sorry jfisher...

As mentioned, the need for security outweighs the need of a few.

I've been begging RIM for this for 2 years, and there is no hope in sight. Its all about security when it comes to the BlackBerry device. This is why you have to sign apps touching sensative code, this is why users are prompted to allow connections (although that can be overridden in a software configuration but requires interaction with the BES to set up), and this is why users are prompted when a download is about to begin.

fbrimm
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
rock_win

Its Ok with me even if BES pushes it.

I just want to make it happen.So, for me right now design,resources etc are not an issue. I just want a way by which it can be done.
Just like how they outlined in that whitepaper.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

If you use the BES...
If you have the system Administrator's complete involvement (permissions, BES config, etc)...

It can be done. But in a infrastructure-intensive and admin-intensive manner, for security reasons.

In other words, it won't work unless the BlackBerry is activated only for that particular BES (i.e. one specific company's BlackBerries), and you have the full access to the BES with the administrator's full blessing (i.e. you've got direct control over the BES server).

So for a shareware application that a consumer downloads, this isn't pratical.
But on the other hand, if it's a business application for the whole of a company and you want to provide the ability to silently upgrade, yes the system administrator can configure the BES to push the upgarde out.

If this is an application you plan to sell, you'd have to write instructions for a BES administrator to push the application out silently and they'd have to intentionally follow it if they trusted your instructions -- you wouldn't be able to do it yourself as an outside software writer. For security reasons, it's impossible -- otherwise we'd have viruses and worms...

If this is an application you are writing for your company, and you got the administrator's full blessing to configure the BES anyway you like (or have ability to give him instructions on how to do so), then you can do what you need once you learn how to do so...

Be noted, installing, setting up, configuring BES, and finally pushing the app out -- Although simple stuff for an administrator, this is well over 100 times more complicated than those simple social engineering tricks of emails for trojan horses and the requirement to activate each and every BlackBerry onto the BES -- so impratical for virus/worm writers to trick an administrator to push an upgrade out silently because it requires so many steps to do it correctly and silently, that it can only be done intentionally -- an outside BlackBerry can't join BES without the BES server's knowledge, and the BES can't link to an outside BlackBerry without the BlackBerry's knowledge -- an Enterprise Activation procedure is necessary before there's a link to the BES. Passwords are involved too, in order to activate the BlackBerry onto the BES. In addition, all the connections are encrypted, and the BES is behind firewalls anyway.

But once the BlackBerry is finally activated on the BES, the BES pratically has complete remote control over the BlackBerry -- you can for example, even use BES to wirelessly lobotomize the BlackBerry if it's ever stolen. Wireless sync, wireless install, ability to remotely turn on/off Bluetooth/camera/memory card capability for security reasons, wireless insertition of company-wide calendar items, even remote snooping of the BlackBerry's screen (with a third party utility manually installed on the BlackBerry), you name it -- all can be done through BES if the company intentionally enables all these powerful features on the BES. Governments and companies love these because they can restrict the BlackBerry to do only what is allowed, such as disabling ability to install third party applications.

This question actually belongs in the BES Administrator forum. Just make sure you explain who you really are -- i.e. you're a developer for a company and you're setting up a BES for the company, and you need the ability to push an upgrade out. A simple answer may be provided, assuming you've already learned how to install and setup BES.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 08-08-2007 at 02:08 PM..
Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #12
rock_win

Thanks Mark

I think , this can be one of the probable solutions to my problem.
Closed Thread