BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #21
harsaphes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobil

Please Login to Remove!

Im in nyc, tmobile, i would have to say the signal isnt great...i cant use my phone in my office, though the person next to me can, and they are on cingular, and the owner of the company swithched to cingular from tmo because he had NO signal in the Hamptons, even though tmo told him it wouildnt be a problem.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #22
jeproks

Model: BOLD
Carrier: at&t

In the DC-Baltimore area, Cingular have better coverage and service than T Mobile.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #23
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

The way the early exception upgrade works kinda sucks. You sign a new 2 year contract and pay the one year price. Almost everyone is eligible.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:44 AM   #24
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

I've been with T-Mobile for many years, and I love them. They have had great signal everywhere I've lived, and fantastic customer service. Before that I was with Cingular (and SBC Wireless before that) and had the most horrible customer experience I have ever had with any company.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #25
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

I've had T-Mobile since it was Omnipoint...maybe 10 or 11 years? Anyway, I've tried Cingular, Verizon, ATT (before it was Cingular). I've lived in DC, NYC, LA and Miami. I travel globally often for work. I use close to 5000 minutes a month + data + hotspot. T-Mo has been the best FOR ME. Price plans are great. Coverage everywhere I've gone has been fine. Customer Service has always fixed whatever problems arose.

BUT, you have to choose what works for you in your area.

BTW, one of the biggest reasons I never stayed with Cingular after trying them out was that their customer service didn't operate on weekends or at night. I don't know if this is still the case, but it seemed pretty crazy that I was paying those rates and couldn't get a CSR when I needed one, which was inevitably at 8 AM in some foreign country or over the weekend, and I was having a problem of some sort.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #26
p1nk50ck

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
It's all about coverage in your area. Period. The best customer service in the world won't put a cell tower close to you.

i agree 100%

as far as nationwide coverage goes, cingular does have the largest cellular network. Verizon is at a very close second, followed by Sprint/Nextel, and T-mobile is last.

however, it doesn't mean that T-mobile is the worst in your area. it just means that they just have a spottier coverage on a nationwide-level. T-mobile may actually have better coverage in some areas than all other carriers, even though they work on a GSM network like Cingular.

t-mobile definitely has the cheapest data plan, and probably a cheaper voice plan than most carriers as well. i've also heard that t-mobile is the most convenient international plan that you can purchase if travelling to europe. our company offers a very hefty discount for verizon for the phones, the plans and their data package. i stick to cingular, as it gives me the best coverage at home and at the office. i have other colleagues that have t-mobile over the discounted office verizon plan, because they travel frequently.

just my .02 cents

Last edited by p1nk50ck; 08-22-2006 at 09:51 AM..
Old 08-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #27
allenranger2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
It's all about coverage in your area. Period. The best customer service in the world won't put a cell tower close to you.
That's true...except T-Mobile, which in my opinion really does have the best customer care (I've tried many providers), actually did put up a tower near my friend's school because we kept asking. They said they sent researchers over to that area (Waltham, MA), and they decided to do it.

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #28
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNABB
Who prefers which of these 2 carriers and why?
Cingular.

Coverage in my area (definitely not price or customer service) which is pretty irrelevant to you as I don't live in Memphis.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #29
hailer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsilverman
I've had T-Mobile since it was Omnipoint...maybe 10 or 11 years? Anyway, I've tried Cingular, Verizon, ATT (before it was Cingular). I've lived in DC, NYC, LA and Miami. I travel globally often for work. I use close to 5000 minutes a month + data + hotspot. T-Mo has been the best FOR ME. Price plans are great. Coverage everywhere I've gone has been fine. Customer Service has always fixed whatever problems arose.

BUT, you have to choose what works for you in your area.

BTW, one of the biggest reasons I never stayed with Cingular after trying them out was that their customer service didn't operate on weekends or at night. I don't know if this is still the case, but it seemed pretty crazy that I was paying those rates and couldn't get a CSR when I needed one, which was inevitably at 8 AM in some foreign country or over the weekend, and I was having a problem of some sort.

Correction, AT&T Wireless merged with Cingular. AT&T is still a company just their wireless division was bought up by Cingular. Cingular use to be PacBell I think.

Anyway I use Cingular because of coverage in my area.

I've tried Sprint, TMo, and Cingular and have had the best coverage with Cingular both on the west and east coast. Notice I said coverage, Cingular still does need to improve in other areas.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #30
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And AT&T, which now controls Cingular, is going to change the name BACK to AT&T Wireless. Wonder what happens to the orange SIM cards (OK - I don't really care, it's a rhetorical question).
Old 08-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #31
jeevessnsv

Model: 7280

I have to vote for T-Mobile. They were rated highly in Consumer Reports' most recent evaluation, and I'm currently getting basic phone + unlimited data from TM at about half the price Cingular wanted. I was a prepaid customer with Cingular a couple of years ago, and had some lousy experiences with customer service, including money disappearing from my account due to nasty fine print. The coverage with TM may not be as great as Cingular, can't speak for that, but it's still good. I also hear that T-M is playing extra-nice right now because they're trying to catch up with Cingular & co in terms of subscribers, so that could be another thing.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #32
mpeng168

Model: Curvy
Carrier: att-ingu-ws

my wife is on sprint pcs with her sammy a900 (wanna razr) because the reception -- err -- there is reception at our place. I'm on Cingular b/c it's our company provider - but there's no gsm signal at my place - otherwise i think i'd be on sprint pcs too...
Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #33
earth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

I'm with rogers so I'd have to say Bell.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #34
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Umm... is my T-mobile the only one that will roam on to Cingular voice? Sure, I don't get data, but I get data pushed as soon as I'm back on T-mobile.

I've used T-mobile, Cingular, Sprint, Nextel, and Verizion. If I could afford it, I would have the new Verizion 8700 series when it comes out. Unfortunately, it is cost prohibitive for the BB plan. I went with T-mobile.

Jester
Old 08-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #35
A3SC

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by option94
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yes, I work for Cingular, so my opinion on this is slightly bias. You'll notice that in my original post to this thread stayed to research who had the best network in the area. I just wanted to shed some light on one of the reasons T-Mobile is cheaper.
Because service is more expensive...doesn't make it better... I can prove that point with the thermometers I use to stick in my sons . The war is on Cingular! :0P
Old 08-26-2006, 04:15 AM   #36
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

T-Mobile for me.. but verizon have great coverage in my area

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #37
bjm007

Model: 7130C

It only matters what works in the places you go...

For me it's Cingular in Honolulu
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #38
MHiggy

Model: 7130c

I was with Cingular and was able to upgrade my phone to a BlackBerry 7130c and got the 2 year contract price without breaking my contract. I live in Memphis but spend alot of my time in Oxford, MS. The service is great. I have had no problems with it.

Last edited by MHiggy; 11-07-2006 at 12:38 AM..
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #39
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

verizon.. i have recently been reminded why i pay the extra amount per month.. their customer service is AMAZING at least in my recent experiences...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #40
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspiegel
verizon.. i have recently been reminded why i pay the extra amount per month.. their customer service is AMAZING at least in my recent experiences...
Meh.. Their customer service is OK, their data technical support isn't that great but the network is what has kept me with Verizon for the past several years. Anywhere that I have travelled in the USA, it has been clear to me that VZW was the right choice. I've got coverage EVERYWHERE, and even though Cust Svc isn't that great, at least they are there 24/7.
Closed Thread