Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
patrickd26

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: alltel
Default How to reset BB device without having BPS "redeploy" previous apps

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked previously, but I did search/scroll through many messages and havent found similar issues.

I have an issue when I try to reset a device to factory defaults the device will re-download previously installed apps once I do an enterprise activation. For example, on my bb device I have installed tons of "crapware". I became suspect of the stability of the device and just wanted to "start over". I wipe the device and everything is just like it was when Alltel gave it to me on the first day. However, when I do an enterprise activation on my BPS server it will basically load the device back like it was. I get all my old settings, photo's, apps, desktop, etc. I don't understand where this info is coming from, but obviously has to be coming from BPS.

Do you have any idea on how I can reset the device and then join it back to the BPS server without all the historical "crap"?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd26 View Post
However, when I do an enterprise activation on my BPS server it will basically load the device back like it was. I get all my old settings, photo's, apps, desktop, etc. I don't understand where this info is coming from, but obviously has to be coming from BPS.
Yes, it's coming from BPS. This is a feature called Wireless Backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd26 View Post
Do you have any idea on how I can reset the device and then join it back to the BPS server without all the historical "crap"?
You can either disable wireless backup (not recommended by me) or remove the user account from BPS and then re-add it back.
When you remove a user from BPS/BES, the wireless backup gets removed as well.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
patrickd26

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: alltel
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I did not know that. Thank you again.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

The wireless backup doesn't put 3rd party apps back on your device. It just restores things like your speed dials, your bookmarks, your options, screen/keyboard setting, sound profiles and many other very useful items... It rarely, and I do mean rarely, needs to be wiped and redone. However, if you want to start over with all of those things penguin's comments are applicable. When you wipe, do you have an option to delete 3rd party apps? If so, you should choose it. You can also delete those apps by going into option-advance options-applications and clicking then deleting any app you don't want... Careful not to delete built in apps.
Closed Thread