Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
cucs8

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BES server public IP change?

Please Login to Remove!

We have an Exchange environment that is moving this weekend from one physical location to another. Obviously with the physical move, the external public IP addresses of our Exchange and BES servers will be changing public IP addresses. Will the SRP be affected by this adversely? Will I need to contact RIM in order to get this IP address changed or do they not care what Ip address it is originating from? I read somewhere that the SRP-ID will be disabled if they see it coming up under two different IP addresses.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

You shouldn't have a problem... but this begs the question... why does your BES have a public IP?

The only time you'll have an SRP issue is if you have two machines trying to use the same SRP ID at the same time. Then RIM will disable it.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

might have a firewall that uses the IP and is changing it there
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
cucs8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
You shouldn't have a problem... but this begs the question... why does your BES have a public IP?

The only time you'll have an SRP issue is if you have two machines trying to use the same SRP ID at the same time. Then RIM will disable it.
lol, I dunno actually. I'm stepping into this situation as the entire netadmin staff at this place was basically laid off and I was tasked to relocate all of this from the previous office that was shut down and bring it up to the main office and reconnect it all. I have admin'ed BES but I haven't done much with installing it. Within their firewall rules they have a static NAT to the BES server so I figured that it does some kind of homing to the RIM server and needed a static IP. So you are saying that there is no reason to have BES available on a public address?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucs8 View Post
Within their firewall rules they have a static NAT to the BES server so I figured that it does some kind of homing to the RIM server and needed a static IP. So you are saying that there is no reason to have BES available on a public address?
The static NAT assignment is unnecessary and actually creates a potential security risk.
There's no need for any inbound initiated traffic from the Internet to the BES.

Only outbound initiated bi-directional traffic on TCP port 3101 is needed.
As long as BES can initiate the outbound port 3101 connection to RIM's SRP... then you're good.
I would dump the static NAT as soon as you can.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
cucs8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
The static NAT assignment is unnecessary and actually creates a potential security risk.
There's no need for any inbound initiated traffic from the Internet to the BES.

Only outbound initiated bi-directional traffic on TCP port 3101 is needed.
As long as BES can initiate the outbound port 3101 connection to RIM's SRP... then you're good.
I would dump the static NAT as soon as you can.
Roger that, thanks for the info!
Closed Thread