BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default Will RIM/BlackBerry Utilize More Memory?!

Please Login to Remove!

I'm aware that several aspects of what I'm about to mention 'may' be scattered amongst many other threads, so I do apologize if it seems repetitive.

With more multimedia intensive applications existing today and just over the horizon, it would seem that a more efficient/powerful cpu & usuage of memory will be needed.

The current cpu was a great choice at the time, when RIM signed the deal with Intel. However, even INtel finds no future in it & as such has sold it some time ago. Now, I'm not intending for RIM to just go for a 500Mhz+ cpu, that would lay waste to battery life. I'm asking for RIM to look for a dual-core cpu that can do double duty with multimedia (audio/video), and power efficiency with the ability to manage cpu intensive tasks. Along with the ability to handle multiple radio technologies ALL on one chip. Consider it cost of savings.

Memory is another concern. I'm not refering to core utilization of applications, like Calendar, AddressBook, MemoPad, etc. I'm refering to using a game loaded into memory, then ALT-ESC'ing into BBMaps, then switching to an application that querries into the net. I'm sure we've all noticed a brief slowdown and that "hourglass" while it reloads application data in order to run that app. I'd LOVE for RIM to somehow enable the use of the MicroSD card as an edition to the running memory, but its not fast enough for read/writes. So the next logical step is to imbedd more system memory. 128MB will increase the cost of the hardware to new retail purchases & on contract alike. But what about 96MB? Is that the sweet spot?!

With all the rumors & photos of the 8300, no information regarding its memory has leaked out.

Will we see NO more lag - even though its minute currently?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

Let RIM hear your opinion as well:

[email address]
Old 04-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Snowskier79, excellent suggestion. I've got many more things I'd like to see in the future, however I must be straight to the point and more professional in my writing them. I just have to prepare.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

By the way, RIM has done somewhat of a dual core processor before. The Nextel 7510 abd 7520 have 2 processors. 1 for the radio (Walkie Talkie, Phone, and Data transmission), and a separate processor board for the OS/PIM. The reason for this is because (among others) the processing required to run the walie talkie and packet data on iDEN is nore intense than other platforms (lower latency).

The downside as you have already mentioned is battery life. In fact, if you place a Nextel BB side-by-side with another carrier's BB and do not even use them, the Nextel BB's battery will die noticably faster than the other.

I can tell you from experience, the Nextel BB does out-perform other BBs is processing speed and even at 56k data speeds it actually performs basic blackberry functions faster than even the high-speed EVDO devices (with the exception of web browsing and downloading apps).

The bummer is that the 7520 is end of life, and no iDEN BB is on the roadmap, not to mention that it does not support MultiMedia and all of the newer features.

The bottom line is that what you have suggested is more than possible, and RIM has already done it.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I'm sure that there's a balance to be maintained between processor, memory and the OS itself. If it was simply a matter throwing more memory at the problem I'm sure RIM could have easily done that by now. Really, the whole platform is probably due for a significant overhaul. They've just started adding media support and I'm sure they're already looking into this but it can't hurt to contact them at the bbsuggestions email address.
Closed Thread