Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Davinci1969
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230
Carrier: Vodafone NZ
Default Clarification of Handheld Configuration Utility

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

this one will be an easy one for someone to answer for me. I don't get a good deal of time with hands-on a BES server and would like some clarity around activation of a Handheld on a BES 4.0 server for Exchange using the Handheld Configuration Utility using a cable.

I know you can assign a device to a user by USB cable and can deploy software, but can you actually do the initial synchronization of the device after assigning to the user, instead of doing it by wireless synchronization?

I know this seems like a silly question but I cannot find any mention of it in the Administration manual or the Wireless HandHeld User Guide.

Any clarity is greatly appreciated guys.

Kind Regards
Davinci1969.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Davinci1969

Smile I'm suprised?

Hi everyone,

I'm really suprised that no one knows an answer to this?

I was looking some more through the Handheld Management Guide for 4.0 and although it mentions the following: "You can deploy handhelds by connecting them to the administration computer. This method enables you to control the activation and initial deployment of multiple handhelds.", it does not mention anywhere how this occurs. Under a heading of "Assign a handheld to a user" you are taken through assigning it to the user of choice, but there is no indication whether from that point it is an automated update process or if there is another step to then complete the initial synchronisation. Hence my reservation at mentioning to someone that you can activate and do the initial synchronisation from the BlackBerry Manager.

If anyone else does read this and has done this in the past, I would be really appreciative to hear from you.

Kind Regards
Davinci1969
Old 03-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

you don't want to activate OTA?

When I was running BES 4.0 my 7520's wouldn't activate completely OTA. I would connect them to my computer with bb manager and activate. It always worked and the first "sync" is part of the activation. I don't know if it works if the computer you connect the bb to is not on the domain at the time.
BES 4.1
Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
Davinci1969

Thumbs up

Hi there,

no in this case it is more knowledge acquisition. Some smaller companies prefer to do the initial setup via cable as they do not want to use their data plans for the initial activations (plans based on data volume).

I just wanted to clarify if the BES Manager on the BES server was able to do the initial sync. I know you can via the Desktop Manager but not sure about doing it from the server.

From what you have mentioned it sounds like the initial assigning of the Handset to the user also synchronises the initial PIM data, etc? If that is the case then I have my answer. I don't need to look for another command to sync the device.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Tadly

Model: 7103
Carrier: Sprint

From the BlackBerry Manager (Local or Remote) you can Provision Device which will cause it to activate over the wire, I believe.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Davinci1969

Okay thanks very much for that Tadly. So "Provision Device" will be a menu option available after the Handheld is assigned to the user?
Closed Thread