Old 02-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Buckwheat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Upgrade to new or find used Storm

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I have been asking questions and reading just about all I can read about the Storm and its good and bad points, so here is my question.Should I get the Storm as my upgrade that I am eligable for now or try to find a used one. I am a little concerned that if I get a used Storm that needs to be replaced or whatever else may go wrong with it, that Verizon may not be willing to work with me seeing I didnt get it from them. Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
lukeg310
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: T-Mobile

Think of this first. When you upgrade that means another two years of service. Do you see yourself with Verizon for another two years? also keep in mind that the Storm is not for everyone and its not to its full potential yet. Dishing $XXX.XX for some people means that the phone better be at its optimal level. You shoudnt spend no more than 199.99 on an upgrade, maybe you can get it cheaper.

If you dont plan on being with verizon I recomend to get the phone, and avoid long term contracts. For unlocked phones, you have to be a smart shopper. I got mine from a person in craigs list. I asked questions and made sure the phone was working and it came with everything. I woudnt buy a phone that all they sell is the phone itself and nothing else. I paid $380 for mine and it came unlocked and literaly brand new. no scratches. The guy even put LCD screen protector for me. If you choose to buy any phone I recomend the seller to give u all the time in the world to visual inspect the phone and show that everything is working. I put my sim card and made sure I can make calls, recieve calls and text messages. I spend about half an hour talking to the guy asking him questions. I have used e-bay before and yeah the seller gives you 7 days to return the phone and all but why spend extra money when you can get it from a local person and look right there if there are any flaws. be sure to meet in a public place. Your gut instinct will tell you if you are getting a deal or not. I saw other posts for 300 dollars and so forth but who knows were those phones came from and only the phone itself was sold.

Last note, this phone is mainly a multimedia phone. It takes some time for you to get used to typing fast like you would on another phone. the OS that comes preinstalled in the phone sucks and there are better beta and beta hybrids. Do you feel comfortable in loading experimental software and changing software every other week? Only thing I hate is that it doesnt have Wi-Fi. The 9520 is going to be comming out soon with Wi-Fi. If you really want to buy an unlocked storm, wait for the 9520

Carrier: T-Mobile
8310, 8800, 8900, 9530, 9630
Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
travclay

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZW

so im new to the world of bb and i just got my storm about three weeks ago from verizon. i got what i think was an excellent deal, 2 storms(1 for me, 1 for my gf) out the door for $200. it was buy one get one free. now as far as lukeg310 goes, to me its a simple math solution. you can chance it like he did, buy a hacked phone from a individual off craigslist that is probably stolen, or you can go down to verizon get two brand new factory phones from them for $200(if they still have the buy one get one free promo) try the phone, return it if you dont like it, or if you get tired of verizon cancel your subscription and pay the cancellation fee of $175 and still be right around what luke paid. all the meanwhile if something were to happen and the phone say broke or glitched out, you can return it and get a new one.

i would go with the verizon option. same price, and if they do have the buy one get one free promo still, you can sell the second one and be money ahead. just somethin to think about.
Closed Thread