Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
DennyEller

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Email stopped

Please Login to Remove!

Email was working fine but then decided to add filters through the blackberry internet service so not everything went to my phone. I add a list of about 20 email address to not deliver. Once I did this I did not get any email at all but could send email out. My email provider is Comcast.net. I deleted the filter still no email. I just tried to remove and replace the battery and I didn't get any old messages that I had not down loaded yet but got two new ones when I joined the forum. What gives?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Email stopped

You will never get ANY of the messages that occurred while the filter (or filters) was active. Hence the term "filter".

It sounds like you set the filter up incorrectly. If you were trying to set up a filter to prevent messages FROM certain email addresses, then you need to set the filter up as a "FROM" filter where it reads "Apply Filter When:".
Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
DennyEller

The filter was set as a "FROM" filter. The way I read it I should get email except from the addresses I have put into the box.. After I deleted the filter and rebooted the phone by removing the battery I started getting email again. I again went in and set a "From" filter with my list of addresses separated by ";" between each. I created the list in word and just cut and pasted it into the window. The windows doesn't expand so you can see if any erroneous characters were placed. I sent a couple test emails and nothing went to my phone again, I even rebooted the phone before I did this after I created the filter again. I wounder if there is a limit to the number of address you can have or maybe the filter option isn't available for comcast users.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

No idea. And you should not have to reboot the device to start the filter. The filter comes from the BIS.

I would try creating separate filters and not try to put 20 addresses all in the same filter and see what happens.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
DennyEller

I checked this morning and with the filter activated I did receive email but some that were on my list came through while others were blocked. I think that the problem is that these email from different stores change the from address in front of the @. I will try to use the * wild card in front of the @ to see it that works. My the way I checked my filter list and the ones that got through some were at the begging of it and the others in the middle.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
DennyEller

FYI, I Did some more checking and when I went into the filter and in the box you put your addresses in only part of what I put in was there (first part of the list). After some more testing I found out there is a limit of only 64 characters per filter box. Would of been nice if this information was given on the filter help page. Would nice if you could filter to only allow mail from people in your address book.

Last edited by DennyEller; 03-31-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Old 03-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyEller View Post
Would nice if you could filter to only allow mail from people in your address book.
You can do this from the device.

Go to Options > Security Options > Firewall. Place a check next to Personal Email, and then under exceptions, place a check next to contacts.

That is running OS 6. OS 4.5 might be slightly different. It may be labeled Blackberry Internet Service instead of Personal Email. I don't have any OS 4.5 devices available to test.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #8
tomibraniste

Model: 8320
Carrier: none

works for me thank you