BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
braambo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Location: The Keystone State (Pennsylvania for those who may not know)
Model: 9650
PIN: 32320436
Carrier: Verizon Wireless & AT&T GoPhone Prepaid
Question Few t-mob bb Curve questions...

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone, I am totally new to this site and still very new to blackberry in general, and when I bought my blackberry I was told you can do everything you normally do, over wifi instead of the cell network, and I did not know you have to have a data plan to use pretty much any application...tmobile was over charging my minutes, and i would have several different charges appear on my bill, needless to say I canceled them, but I'm not exactly on good terms with them (owe them money) i do plan on paying them, as so its not held against me....they won't unlock my phone, refuse to no matter how nice i am, so my biggest question is, can i use my blackberry and all the features on a tmobile prepaid plan? has anyone tried it? I was thinking about trying ATT gophone since the have unlimited internet for $19.99, but I was told blackberry requires a certain kind of data plan? since tmobile wont give me the subsidy code, i cant....att did tell me they have people using iPhones and blackberry's on gophone all the time, but they can't promise they will always work properly...how can i use my bb n all its apps n features w/o getting locked into another nightmare with a wireless carrier successfully? Thank you!
I hope this is enough information for someone to give me an idea of what I could do...anymore info ya need lemme know

Last edited by braambo; 10-31-2008 at 12:18 AM..
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
CureMS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: wheel*
Carrier: TMO

Hi Braambo. I'm a new user also, so I'm not an expert but here are a few thoughts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by braambo View Post
when I bought my blackberry I was told you can do everything you normally do, over wifi instead of the cell network, and I did not know you have to have a data plan to use pretty much any application...tmobile was over charging my minutes, and i would have several different charges appear on my bill,
It sounds like the sales person wasn't clear about BB (either lack of skill or lack of knowledge). If that person is not a BB user themselves, they are relying on stock info that can be quite confusing since it often refers to an ordinary cell phone rather than a BB. You weren't really being over charged, you had the wrong plan because you had been misguided.

Quote:
needless to say I canceled them, but I'm not exactly on good terms with them (owe them money) i do plan on paying them, as so its not held against me
The sooner you resolve this the better. As a credit counselor, I can't tell you how many people I see whose credit has been destroyed because of this kind of problem with mobile service.

Quote:
they won't unlock my phone, refuse to no matter how nice i am, so my biggest question is, can i use my blackberry and all the features on a tmobile prepaid plan? has anyone tried it? I was thinking about trying ATT gophone since the have unlimited internet for $19.99, but I was told blackberry requires a certain kind of data plan? since tmobile wont give me the subsidy code, i cant....att did tell me they have people using iPhones and blackberry's on gophone all the time, but they can't promise they will always work properly...how can i use my bb n all its apps n features w/o getting locked into another nightmare with a wireless carrier successfully? Thank you!
I would assume that if you can use the BB on an ATT prepaid plan, you would be able to do the same with tmo. But ... if the phone is locked on tmo and you owe them money, I doubt it would make a difference trying to go to a prepaid plan. I do believe you can purchase an unlock code but I'm not familiar with that process (I've seen postings in the forums about doing it).

Another idea, since you've already mentioned the possibility of using tmo prepaid, what about "making nice" to tmo and reinstating your account with the appropriate plan? They offer the 19.99 unlimited data plan for BB also.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
braambo

first off i overpaid for my phone so now the bill is too big to pay it to turn it back on, so I am currently making payments to them (I'm a poor guy lol).. I guess the next thing to do would be to unlock it through a website or some other means...i figured blackberry would be the best phone i could get for what i wanna do, apparently so far i was wrong, mine often freezes, the track ball never went to the right correctly since i received it, (sounds like they gave me a refurb).

Is there any kind of program for blackberry that can show you information for example like in windows when you press Ctrl Alt Del , memory usage, (for programs and otherwise) data usage and things, I have a old nokia 6600 and i had many programs that did this sort of thing, i guess i am just not yet used to blackberry also. So it seems I gotta stick with this phone, but the more i use it, the more i find more ways to better use it how i like..

Must you always use the desktop management software to add/remove software? and is there a way to install programs to the MicroSD card rather then the phone memory? cause it seems i only have a few applications installed and already it's full or almost full, i realized this when the phone kept deleting sms messages and some other things each time i would exit the menu.

Thank you CureMS for the information and advice you took time to type up for me.

When I upgrade to the blackberry it was through tmobile, and they stated to me I had 20 days to return it for any reason, if i didnt like it or had any problems, after 12 to 13 days, i was thinking about this because tmobile wasn't ever giving me any straight answers and every single rep it seems like (i s** you not) gave me different information, i think tmobile really needs to train the representatives more. no pun intended there...then they tell me, well, if you returned it now (my phone) it wouldn't make it to us in time and we would not return it to you and still charge you, because you have 14 days....wait now, they told me 20 days online, and 3 different reps also told me this...

really sorry if this seems like an over explanation but i am just p.o ed with the way tmobile runs things...also for CureMS so ya better understand this situation.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

You can get unlock code from horizonwirelessonline.com. They are a foru sponsor

You cannot add applications to the memory card

Without BB data plan you will have to use desktop manager to load anything

I'm not 100% on tmos return policy I know it is at least 14 days but I thought they went to 30 days like the bigger carriers

You can check available memory by going to options>status. There you will find free memory
Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Did you order device from tmo directly? They do have option to select new or refurb equipment

You say they overcharged you if you didn't get a proper data plan you likely didn't qualify for the lowest price. Read the fine print sir
Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Have you set up payment arrangements with them or are you just paying? I would suggest a formal arrangement!

As far as ATT for some the BB works on prepay for others it does not. It isn't supposed to

May I suggest you look over BBFAQ. Link at top of page as well as get a copy of stinsonsdogs tips
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
braambo

yes i ordered from tmobile, i have setup payments to them...their service where i live is horrible...sadly verizon rules the area here...i have to go almost 20 miles to get a "roaming partner" signal...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
braambo

they told me if i continue to use service through their roaming partners, (AT&T and IMMIX Wireless) here in pa, they could cancel my contract without my consent.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
braambo

Wirelessly posted

i need a free messenger for connecting to yahoo msn aim etc but that uses wifi . I tried palringo many times and it wont work for me, is there any other free ones out there like that which actually work?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
braambo

Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8320)

Okay i need some help here...im gonna soon be unlocking my blackberry when i do i am going to go with att prepaid for now. But when i do for now i am not gonna get any data. Whats the easieist way to make sure that when i put the att sim card in, that the phone cant use any data? Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
braambo

please help! My blackberry maps is showing its installed under my advanced options>applications but its gone from my main menu...and does any one know a good bluetooth gps that isn't too expensive that would work with my 8320 ? Sorry would of posted a new thread but i don't know how on the mobile part of the forums.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
braambo

Will or has prepaid bb data been released in north america?
Closed Thread