Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Pyjo

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Default BES and Exchange 2010

Please Login to Remove!

Hello.
I'm looking for documentation about integrating BES with Exchange 2010 in a specific scenario; by now I did't find anything useful.
The scenario is the following:
2 Exchange 2010 Server on W2k8 R2 enterprise, three roles on each server (Mailbox, CAS, Hub). The mailbox role is configured with a DAG (Database Availability Group). Since the failover cluster component is installed on both server, the NLB feature cannot be activated (Microsoft doesn't support both features on the same server).
Is this a supported scenario for BES? Is it possible to configure BES to connect to a second CAS, if the first one fails? Is a hardware load balancer required?

Thank you very much.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
buluks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z3
Carrier: Indosat

Hi Pyjo,

BES connect to exchange with mapi profile. for compatibility you must using BES 5.0.1.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Pyjo

Thanks.
Assuming that I've installed a version of BES that is compatible with Exchange 2010, there is a way to specify a list of Exchange servers so that the BES tries to contact the first one and if the connection fails it moves on the next one?

My problem is that Exchange 2010 supports MAPI connections on the CAS server, and the Outlook client automatically discovers a CAS on the network; then the CAS locate the mailbox server and retrieves mailbox content. But I still need to understand how the BES fits in this architecture.

Last edited by Pyjo; 03-13-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

BES uses AD with LDAP to find the mailbox.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Pyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
BES uses AD with LDAP to find the mailbox.
Exchange 2010 is quite different from Exchange 2007 in this aspect.
In AD there is no more a reference to the Exchange mailbox server that hosts the mailbox of the user, but a reference to a database that may be replicated on many servers, and is active only on a single server (this the new DAG feature). I don't think that AD maintains information about the active copy: this information is retrieved on the fly by the CAS when the client connects to it.

So I can't understand how the BES can dynamically find the active copy of the mailbox unless it connect to the CAS; and then I wonder how the access to the CAS can be configured as fault tolerant.

The installation guide I downloaded (BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_for_Microsoft_Exchan ge-Installation_and_Configuration_Guide--819071-1029033521-001-5.0.1-US.pdf) states simply:
7. In the Microsoft Exchange Server dialog box, perform the following actions:
a. In the Microsoft Exchange server field, type the name of the Microsoft® Exchange server.

So it seems that there is room for only one Exchange server (the CAS, I suppose). If that server goes offline, how the BES will connect to the mailboxes?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
RadHaz75
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

BES 5.0.1 MR1 now talks to the CAS, since nothing in E2010 talks directly to the mailbox servers.

This is why you make the CAS HA, behind a hardware LB and then point all traffic to the LB. Then if one CAS goes down, the LB takes it out of the pool and the client (in this case BES) says hey, i got nothing, let me recheck and it is then pointed to a diff CAS through the LB.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Pyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadHaz75 View Post
BES 5.0.1 MR1 now talks to the CAS, since nothing in E2010 talks directly to the mailbox servers.

This is why you make the CAS HA, behind a hardware LB and then point all traffic to the LB. Then if one CAS goes down, the LB takes it out of the pool and the client (in this case BES) says hey, i got nothing, let me recheck and it is then pointed to a diff CAS through the LB.
Thank you very much.
So there is no way to achieve fault tolerance from the BES side, without the intervention of some LB module.
But is the use of Microsoft NLB supported, or discouraged?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
RadHaz75
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjo View Post
But is the use of Microsoft NLB supported, or discouraged?
from what i understand, technically supported but discouraged. they appear to be moving away from that.