BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
hdeschenes

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Default When to upgrade from MSDE to SQL?

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently running a BES 4.1sp3 with 390 users. The BES is located in North America and connects to 10 Exchange servers (EX 2003) around the world. We have added about 50 users in the past 3 months and I have started to see some performance hits. I know that we have what are referred to as high ping times between Exchange and BES since at least 5 or 6 servers have 180-195ms latency. It has run like that for years though. I believe we might be exceeding the abilities of MSDE and I am curious if anyone has hit the ceiling and upgraded to SQL before. Our MSDE database size is only 512M, but I was told by somone at RIM that it had more to do with the number of querys and that our latency could cause us to keep the limited threads with MSDE open too long. Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

On a similar but seperate note, is anyone familiar with how SQL should be licensed? Could it be per device? such as per BES that connects or would it need to be per device/user as in a CAL for each BB user?

Also, SQL 2000 or 2005? any special version? I figured SQL standard should work.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

i know i moved to full remote sql when I had around 200 users and it made a world of difference.

2000 or 2005 should not matter.. Standard is fine also..

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Closed Thread