Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
Ladder Chine

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default 8120 Pearl issues

Please Login to Remove!

I got my 8120 indigo Pearl on Orange a couple of months ago after reading many positive reviews. It replaced a Nokia 6300 that I got on well with but this Blackberry is driving me NUTS. Can anybody help?

- Sometimes I get an SMS, read it and delete it. When I go back to the very front screen it is listed under messages, I can read it again and delete it again. It is still there after deleteing it for a second time, still there if I turn the phone off and the only way to get rid of it is to pull the battery out

- The blinking LED is useful when I get an SMS but really annoys me by flashing when the battery is low plus it glows when charging. Can I choose what items it flashes for?

- The backlight seems to vary in brightness according to....God knows what. Sometimes it comes on bright, sometimes dim, sometimes not at all and sometimes bright and then dim. How can I set it to be bright all the time?

- When the keypad is locked and I press a button I get a menu come up of "Unlock", "Emergency Call", "Cancel". I DON'T WANT emergency call cos that could be very dodgy if done accidently and all "Unlock" does is tell me what buttons to press to unlock they keypad, it doesn't do it itself

- Phone locks up for no reason at least once a day, often when on the "Unlock" "Emergency Call" "Cancel" screen

- Can I set a timer so that the keypad locks after, say, 2 minutes like I had on my Nokia? That would be most useful

Please help with these problems as I feel like putting my phone under the wheels of a bus and getting another Nokia
Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

- You can't control the flashing LED for low battery. The whole point of it is to let you know that you are running low on battery. Best is to always keep your device charged up, its good for the battery anyways. Though I don't know of a particular one, you might be able to find a 3rd party that might let you specify what lights up.

- Backlight: go to Options>Screen/keyboard and toggle off "auto dim backlight." The reason for the dimming and brightening is due to the automatic light sensor located by the LED light that adjusts screen brightness based on your ambient conditions.

- When you have keypad locked, the Emergency Call option is normal. Instead might I suggest you put your device in standby (press the key at the top of your device; also the mute button). It works better than a keypad lock I think because it saves battery, locks the keypad, no Emergency Call warning, but you can still receive calls, texts, etc.

- Not aware of a timer like on the Nokias, though a 3rd party app might exist for that.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Ladder Chine

Auto dim backlight is set to OFF which is why I asked. Should it be set to ON?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

No it should be set to off if you don't want it to auto adjust your screen brightness.

Last edited by Trimix; 06-03-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Ladder Chine

It's set to OFF and changes to whatever brightness it feels like whenever. Is this phone really this rubbish?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

You may have ust gotten a lemon. Sometimes the device has some weird "glitch" that works itself back to normal. I couldn't use my media card normallythe first 3 days after I got it and had it in my device. Then all of a sudden it everything just seemed to work (no input from me).

Just so we've explored all options: when you make the change to turn off auto dim backlight, you save the setting right?

Last edited by Trimix; 06-04-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
a.petrov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9105
Carrier: orange moldova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder Chine View Post

- Can I set a timer so that the keypad locks after, say, 2 minutes like I had on my Nokia? That would be most useful

Please help with these problems as I feel like putting my phone under the wheels of a bus and getting another Nokia
yes, the program you are looking for is called Autolock and last time I checked it was free
Closed Thread