Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Hardwaregeek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Considering dumping the Torch

Please Login to Remove!

Well I have now had it for a couple of weeks and I am really annoyed and losing my patience with it. The newness has worn off and the problems are not going away. The biggest and most annoying issue is the damn LAG when coming out of locked mode. Takes anywhere from 5-15 secs. before the device becomes responsive and lets me do anything. I have removed most of the apps I had installed and it has not made any difference. This is a real deal breaker for me.

The other thing is the little things like when you reboot the phone the home screen changes back to the damn AT&T home screen and then I have to change it back to something I like again. That is just ridiculous if you ask me. There have been other things I have had a few random reboots/lockups and the slider is starting to feel pretty loose after only a couple of weeks use what is going to feel like in about a year. The phone is definitely a step in the right direction but it is not ready for prime time in my opinion needs more development on the software side to get the OS glitches fixed and the slider is going to be a big failure I fear.

I am seriously considering jumping the BB ship and going to a Samsung Captivate Android phone. I have had BB's for many years now and been pretty satisfied but now I am not happy and the Android phone seems to be far more customizable and development for it is on fire.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwaregeek View Post
The biggest and most annoying issue is the damn LAG when coming out of locked mode. Takes anywhere from 5-15 secs. before the device becomes responsive and lets me do anything. I have removed most of the apps I had installed and it has not made any difference. This is a real deal breaker for me.
It's fixed on OS 6.0.0.214. Look in the Beta section.

Quote:
The other thing is the little things like when you reboot the phone the home screen changes back to the damn AT&T home screen and then I have to change it back to something I like again.
Also fixed with OS 6.0.0.214

Quote:
needs more development on the software side to get the OS glitches fixed
See above.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I am thinking of ditching the Torch also, but for a completely different reason. It takes me nearly twice as long to accomplish the same things I used to do with my Bold 9700, which I still have and which is still active as a second line for me. Every time I pick up my Bold, I am reminded how ergonomic the functions are and how easy it is to check my emails and perform basic functions with just one hand. The Torch is a two step process which involves using two hands and 99% of the time sliding it open to access the keypad. The on-screen keyboard is a joke and after several weeks, I still have problems just typing more than a word or two. Turning it sideways is rarely an option for me because the on-screen keys hide most of the screen anyways, and I can't type on the keypad while the Torch is turned sideways.

Yes, the Torch has a few cool features, but they could have just given me OS 6 on my Bold 9700 and I would have been happy.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Hardwaregeek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I installed .214 and it has seemed to fix my issues. I think I am going to keep the Torch only because the Captivate has major GPS issues and I use that feature all the time. Will have to see how this all shakes out with the Torch.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: Safety

I really liked it, but that damn clacking screen was a deal breaker. I put the elec tape on the back of it and it made me like it much better, but I am not going to settle for a $199 upgrade phone that I have to put a stupid piece of tape on to make it right when it is new in the box. They only had one more and it clacked too and I am leaving on vac and won't be back until after my 30 days are up, so I switch back to my trusty 8310 this morning. I had no lag issues and really no other problems except learning curve and the damn screen. I may wait 4-6 months and see if they get that fixed and try again. Sucks. Been waiting for one worth upgrading for years and now I get stuck with a "friday" unit. Oh well.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

What's the "clacking screen" you're talking about? I've used the hell out of mine for over a week and it's as quiet as a church mouse...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
jijaybajay

Carrier: sprint

Quote:
I installed .214 and it has seemed to fix my issues. I think I am going to keep the Torch only because the Captivate has major GPS issues and I use that feature all the time. Will have to see how this all shakes out with the Torch.
so the updated .214 version has fixed up all your issues. that's good