Old 04-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint
Question Strange battery drain problem

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I have this user who has an Curve from T-mobile. Roaming sales person. When she is in the office, she gets 2hrs max from the battery. Anywhere else including home where she uses wifi to talk on it she can get upwards of 2-3 days. I have changed batteries and had her turn off wifi when she isn't at home. I have also had her stop or exit any programs in the background using alt and escape. Still the phone drains. This is the 3rd phone and still the battery drains, but only in the office. I guess i should note that the other reps that come in all have Pearls and no problems.

The office is on the 11th floor of a tower in west LA. I am beginning to think "poltergeist" on some floor of this building, but i don't have any ideas what type of equipment might be causing such a signifigant battery drain. Nothing new has been brought into our office.

Any ideas???? I don't know what more to do.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (blackberry 8140)

Wow that's interesting I'd say device but only happens at office and device changed a couple times.

Does she do anything different with it when at office
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

My guess is that she does not have a good signal at work. If it is in and out the device will go into full broadcast mode attempting to find a signal, doing this for hours at a time will drain the battery.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 04-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
dmead

The signal in the office is good. 3-4 bars mostly. the reason we went with the curve is the wifi. she got zero signal at home. I think i mentioned that i had her turn wifi off when she wasn't at home to see if that was the issue. battery drain because it was constantly attempting to connect with a wifi network. that down't seem to be the problem because when she is at home and connected to her wireless router there isn't a battery drain. the home router doesn't have any sort of battery save mode either. not sure what kind it is but i do know it is 3 or 4 years old.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Thatz

No one else has the issue on the 11th floor
Old 04-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
dmead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post

Does she do anything different with it when at office
since she has a land line on her desk and a PC on the desk she isn't using it to read emails and make calls. when she gets up to leave she grabs the phone and it's drained to the point of turning off the radio. maybe it's jealous of the pc and land line. i don't know. i'm reaching into the twilight zone for answers now.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post

Thatz

No one else has the issue on the 11th floor
He didn't say they all had the same carrier.... But signal apparently isn't the issue... Hmmm?

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 04-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
dmead

sorry, we all have the same carrier. I like to keep it that way. keeps me having to approve different phone bills. anyhow, we own the 11th floor and no one else in the office has this issue. but then she is the only one in the office with a curve. there is one 8700 and 6 pearls that are in use in that office.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
MarsWalker

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

This is the weirdest thing...the same thing happens to my phone.

I go to my office with a full charge on my battery and 2-3 hrs after being in sleep mode I'll check to see if I've missed a call and my Low Battery message will be showing. Its crazy.

I've had the curve since the second week of March but this just started happening a couple of weeks ago. only changes I made in that time was upgrading to a 4gb micro sd card and recently pairing a voyager 510 which I don't usually have with me when the drains take place.
I'll hold off on replacing the battery since that was going to be my next move.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
dmead

I'm bumping this thread because I now have two curves doing this at the same office. I am begiining to think there is some vortex in West LA that sucks the life out of electronics. Any one got any better, more logical ideas?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Hm, strange, but since MarsWalker brought up bluetooth... are there maybe several bluetooth devices around the office? Maybe the curve doesn't do so well with extraneous bluetooth signals. Not paired ones, but ones it is trying to figure out.

I was beginning to wonder about my 7 month old battery running down fairly fast at home (maybe half normal life). But now that I think about it, I've recently been lazy and have not been completely powering off my Playstation 3. It has a constant bluetooth signal waiting for the controller to tell it to turn on.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm running Google Calendar sync which goes on in the background and does not show up in the running programs list. I had chalked it up to that, but that still doesn't explain the fast drain at home for me.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 05-05-2008 at 01:26 PM..
Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
Cilraaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Hm, strange, but since MarsWalker brought up bluetooth... are there maybe several bluetooth devices around the office? Maybe the curve doesn't do so well with extraneous bluetooth signals. Not paired ones, but ones it is trying to figure out.

I was beginning to wonder about my 7 month old battery running down fairly fast at home (maybe half normal life). But now that I think about it, I've recently been lazy and have not been completely powering off my Playstation 3. It has a constant bluetooth signal waiting for the controller to tell it to turn on.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm running Google Calendar sync which goes on in the background and does not show up in the running programs list. I had chalked it up to that, but that still doesn't explain the fast drain at home for me.
I think you might be on to something with the bluetooth. I noticed one day that my 8310 drained entirely too fast. The only thing I had done differently that day was not disabled bluetooth. I leave my bluetooth headset in the car (when it doesn't need charged), as that's the only place I use it. When going into my office for the day or house for the evening, I disable bluetooth on the phone. That was the only day that my battery drained that fast. I had used it for music for about 3-4 hours and by the end of the day had 5% battery left and the phone had turned radio off. On a normal day, I use it for music 5-6 hours and have 35%+ battery left.

A few weeks ago when I first got the phone, I enabled bluetooth and did a device scan just for giggles. It recognized 3 headsets and 2 laptops in the office. So there are open bluetooth connections here. It's quite possible that the Curve trying to monitor available devices would drain battery pretty quickly.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
dmead

hmmmm

i'll investigate that. thanks!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
evan

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell

My 8330 does the same thing, I use a blue tooth headset for my VOIP phone at work. I'll try turning it off tomorrow and see if it drains as fast?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Mine is also draining pretty quickly... I've only had it since February. I wonder if it's because I didn't do enough full charge/full drain cycles in the beginning? Maybe I killed the battery to start.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
evan

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell

I don't know, I've only had mine a couple weeks and I do a full charge every night, including last, and it's at 40% right now... apart from normal email, I only had a 5 min. call today too?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #17
rarexxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I dont think its specific to the Curve. I'm having this issue on a Pearl. Nothing seems to help. It'll drain very fast just sitting there with no radio on.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #18
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post

Any ideas???? I don't know what more to do.
Ask her to put the BB down, step away from Brickbreaker, and get back to work?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

evan, and others, I would recommend reading this FAQ on the battery. There are some good tips here: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #20
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit

Odd question, but... do all the lights on the device turn off when going into sleep mode?
I had a user with a hardware fault, and so the keyboard backlight never turned off, and it killed the battery