BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
ChristianinCA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Red face One horrible day...

Please Login to Remove!

I'm obsessive. Things need to be perfect, from my hair and clothes to my choice in mobile accessories. Every other Tuesday at 2:00pm I have a haircut. I utilize this time to chat with a trusted friend about things I feel I can tell few other souls. No emails, no telephone calls...no one else but my stylist and I.

I was having my haircut when the lady who owns the salon asked about my BB. I smiled and showed her and she politely commented about the futuristic yet refined look of the 8700c. I entered the password and she set about playing with the features. She asked questions and I gladly answered them to the best of my ability. The phone rings at the salon and she sets my BB on the front counter, three steps away, and answers the phone. She ends her call and we begin to talk about her phone and her data plan and things of this nature. My stylist continues to cut my hair. The salon owner starts talking about how she needs to streamline her life and a PDA/phone might just be the answer. I encouraged her to consider all of her options before deciding, helping her to understand that the BB is not the type of business tool to purchase on a whim and that its capabilities are not created with the personal user in mind. She began to pack her things from the desk into her bag and I continued my chat while having my hair cut. The salon owner waved goodbye and left for the day. Several minutes had passed and my stylist finished my haircut. I reached to my briefcase to pull out my checkbook and realized that I needed my BB to schedule my next cut. My stylist was unavailable at 2:00pm (she had a dr. appt) but asked if I could do a 3 o'clock. I said no problem and reached for my phone. Frantically looking through my bag realizing I couldn't find my BB and that it wasn't on the surrounding surfaces. My life passed before my eyes as I realized the lady who owns the salon must have accidentally packed my BB into her bag while she and I were talking. I started to feel light headed and could barely breathe. I was asking myself all types of questions. What would happen if she didn't realize she had my phone and I couldn't get it back, what would I do? What are my contacts? What is tomorrow's schedule? Why didn't I write down my schedule in my paper planner? Will my assistant know what I am supposed to being doing?

I sat down. My stylist calmed me down and offered me a glass of water. We called the woman who owns the salon. No answer. I was heart broken. I left the salon feeling naked. I felt that every person I came into contact with knew something intimately private about the person I am. I drove home and immediately logged onto outlook over the web. I found comfort in knowing my schedule, my contacts, and having the familiar sound of incoming mail. I called the salon--still no word from the owner. What would I do? Why was this happening? I go in for a bi-monthly haircut and end up loosing my phone..how could this be? Hours go by. I'm useless and cannot get a single thing finished. I drive back to the salon, and low and behold...my BB is on the desk, waiting for me with a note of apology.

Waves of joy come over me and I realize...I'm TRULY addicted to my BB.

I'm buying a backup BB TOMORROW. Just thought I'd share a horrific experience turned self-realization hoping you all could relate. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

-Christian
Google Talk: Christianinca
Email: text [email address]
Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wow! Sounds like you had a crazy day! I am glad you got your BB back though

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianinCA
I'm obsessive. . . .

I'm buying a backup BB TOMORROW. Just thought I'd share a horrific experience turned self-realization hoping you all could relate. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

-Christian
Lesson to be learned, treat your BB as you would treat your spouse or your car, dont lend it to anyone, better yet, do not let anyone else handle it. You were lucky indeed, you could have never seen it again, or worse yet see it with a cracked screen or the like.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
mickey78
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

As I was reading your story, i was imaginating myself in your situation... I have to admit, my BB is part of my life too... Maybe not as far as yours is, but anyways. Its incredible how those little machines are needed now that we have them... Remember how life was BEFORE them? lol
Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

It's always good manners to return personal items to the owner once you are finished using it. Especially $500 items the size of your hand.

toddz
Old 04-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Now if you had gone to a barber, you wouldn't have had that problem. He would have thought you were just talking to a calculator, trimmed a little off the top, and sent you on your way with your bb.

Plus he would have charged you 1/2 as much!

Last edited by roofus; 04-26-2006 at 07:06 PM..
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
earth

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianinCA
My life passed before my eyes as I realized the lady who owns the salon must have accidentally packed my BB into her bag while she and I were talking. I started to feel light headed and could barely breathe. I was asking myself all types of questions. What would happen if she didn't realize she had my phone and I couldn't get it back, what would I do? What are my contacts? What is tomorrow's schedule? Why didn't I write down my schedule in my paper planner? Will my assistant know what I am supposed to being doing?

I sat down. My stylist calmed me down and offered me a glass of water. We called the woman who owns the salon. No answer. I was heart broken. I left the salon feeling naked.
omg. teh ghey ;)

pretty much everyone in IT here wishes their bberries would blow up. Nothing more annoying than getting emails + pages at 11pm on a friday night when you're half trashed.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
ebgreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Sounds like time for an intervention.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
No Longer Registered.

I was reading your story while eating my lunch... it felt like I'm in the movies watching suspense/thriller movie eating popcorn waiting glued to my seat analyzing what will happen next.. would he cry? would he give up.. would he go crazy and call the cops and ask for help? I WOULD!

Man, don't every do that. You can show it off but don't let them touch it. They are sacred objects.. LOL

I don't let anybody ever ever touch my hair (unless I want them to), and my BB is one of them. Heck I don't want anybody's finger prints on my BB.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
timmyc123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

I've showed people mine and they tap the screen like it is a PDA, its so annoying.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
stampede2911
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
PIN: 30985425
Carrier: verizon

I drop mine at work at least three times a day from the top of 8ft pallet onto the concrete floor of the pier. So it like a near death experience ever few hours. Glad its insured.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
No Longer Registered.

I didn't insure mine. My thoughts are, if I will get a refurbished phone anyway why insure it? I know I will never be happy with a refurbished phone.

Knowing that.. I set aside $5.99 every month and $110 in my savings so when the "unthinkable" happens.. I would not be stressed out.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
bigmattfromjersey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 31A50A36
Carrier: Sprint

wow dat us ome crazy shit. that would suck if the women stole it from you. i would be pissed.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
KonTiki

PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

And what pray tell is wrong with a manufacturer's refurbished unit, after all they go through inspection and quality control by the same company that manufactures them in the first place. I have a refurbished unit, I have had for over nine months and I have had no problems at all with it. If I am unfortunate enough to have either broken, lost or had the misfortune of a brand new one not working right I would be more than glad to get a refurbished unit rather than have someone say to me I am SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesecatt
I didn't insure mine. My thoughts are, if I will get a refurbished phone anyway why insure it? I know I will never be happy with a refurbished phone.

Knowing that.. I set aside $5.99 every month and $110 in my savings so when the "unthinkable" happens.. I would not be stressed out.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 04-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
ebgreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
And what pray tell is wrong with a manufacturer's refurbished unit,

I think he must be in the same camp that says to treat your BB as if it were your wife.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
Donna

PIN: t / Quart
Carrier: VZ

Next time try calling your BlackBerry.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #17
ChristianinCA
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=chinesecatt]I didn't insure mine. My thoughts are, if I will get a refurbished phone anyway why insure it? I know I will never be happy with a refurbished phone.

Try Safeware. No refurbished phones, just a check. You do what you want with your money. www.safeware.com. I insure five gadgets with safeware and pay less than a few hundred a year. For the price of a desktop, laptop, iPod, and BB..I mean, a few hundred a year is nothing. Its come in handy twice. Try it out...low yearly payment, no deductible. Good luck...

Christian
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #18
ChristianinCA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Next time try calling your BlackBerry.
That would have worked had the spa rules not required all patrons to silence their mobile devices.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #19
ChristianinCA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Lesson to be learned, treat your BB as you would treat your spouse or your car, dont lend it to anyone, better yet, do not let anyone else handle it. You were lucky indeed, you could have never seen it again, or worse yet see it with a cracked screen or the like.
Thanks for the advice. I'm learning one day at a time.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #20
Chinasaur

Model: Z30

You're not "that" compulsive...

1. You surrendered it in the 1st place.
2. You weren't having an anxiety attack/palpitations/separation anxiety while she had it
3. You weren't all over her waiting to get it back into your hot little hands
4. You took your eyes off it
5. You didn't know you didn't have it until later.

Quit worrying and grow your hair out a little. You'll be less stressed.
Closed Thread