BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
lokoseena

Model: 7250
Default Planatronics Discovery 640 good or bad?

Please Login to Remove!

I am thinking of getting this headset but before I dash out the cash I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about it. Thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
stu28bu

Model: 7290

Heard some good things about it. I just ordered one from Buy.com - $74 after a coupon. But its backordered so not sure when I'll have it.

One interesting note is that while it only comes with 4 cell charger adapters in the box (moto, siemens, sony & nokia), the PDF instruction manual has an extra charging adapter that is supposed to be available from Plantronics that is for the mini-usb connector on the Moto Razr. Anybody know whey this wouldn't work with the Blackberry mini-usb charger?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
lokoseena

Model: 7250

I just ordered one. Should be here soon, I'll let everyone know how it does.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
The Shaker

Model: 7290
Default Plantronics 640 review

I just got my 640 and so far it is the best I've tried. I have a 7290 and have used a Plantronics M175 corded headset which I figured would be hard to beat for sound quality especially outbound cuz of the boom mic.

I started using a Plantronics Explorer 320 and loved but I gotta say this 640 is even better! Its so loud that I can't turn the volume on my BB past halfway even on the highway in the rain!

Anyone want to buy a used 320?!!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

I've had mine for about a week and I think it's a keeper. I'll post a few comments in the sticky "review" thread shortly.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu28bu
Heard some good things about it. I just ordered one from Buy.com - $74 after a coupon. But its backordered so not sure when I'll have it.

One interesting note is that while it only comes with 4 cell charger adapters in the box (moto, siemens, sony & nokia), the PDF instruction manual has an extra charging adapter that is supposed to be available from Plantronics that is for the mini-usb connector on the Moto Razr. Anybody know whey this wouldn't work with the Blackberry mini-usb charger?
I ordered that charger adapter. If it works with the Razr, it will work with the BB charger. Usually BB chargers work with mini-usb devices, but other mini-usb devices do not necessarily work with the BB.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
AlbertoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shaker
I just got my 640 and so far it is the best I've tried. I have a 7290 and have used a Plantronics M175 corded headset which I figured would be hard to beat for sound quality especially outbound cuz of the boom mic.

I started using a Plantronics Explorer 320 and loved but I gotta say this 640 is even better! Its so loud that I can't turn the volume on my BB past halfway even on the highway in the rain!

Anyone want to buy a used 320?!!
Agreed. I have one on right now replacing the Bluespoon AX. Corded quality, loud that I too have it at 50% on my 7100G, nice notifications, easy use. Don't know about battery life yet, but there are enough options to recharge, including the AAA battery that it does not matter. People tell me I sound clearer too, particularly inside a car.

Can't wait until I get the 8700C and use BB c 1.2!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
thriller

Model: 7100r
Carrier: Rogers

i am wondering about the comfort issue and it looks to be the smallest BT headset is have seen so far. Also I would like to see if there are any downfalls to this Headset
Old 11-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
AlbertoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller
i am wondering about the comfort issue and it looks to be the smallest BT headset is have seen so far. Also I would like to see if there are any downfalls to this Headset
Well, the BlueSpoon AX, AX2 and the BlueSpoon 5g are smaller, but IMOHO, less comfortable with the "ear spring" making constant pressure. And there is such a thing as too small, when it becomes difficult to operate the buttons, answer the phone, etc.

It comes with three gel earpieces, and all are comfortable. For my small ear canals, I find the smallest ever so slightly too small, and the medium one ever so slightly too large - however it is by far the most comfortable inside the ear headset I have ever worn.

Needless to say, something like the Moto hs850 which hangs on your ear is more comfortable, but interferes with glasses, sunglasses, etc.

I use it with the smallest piece, and even though it feels a bit loose, I can jog and excercise at the gym with no problem. Great sound too, btw.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
akod

Model: 7920
Default I got mine last night

So far it's great.

It DOES NOT come with the mini USB adapter though so it WILL NOT work with a BB out of the box. You have to buy that adapter as an add on apparently, although it comes with 4 other adapters for phones I don't have and never have had...

So far, it's really good though - fits well, the weight is great and the AAA batt charger works well.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
akod

Model: 7920

Where can I find the Mini USB adapter by the way?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:46 AM   #12
FallToFragments

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Lightbulb

Welp, I just ordered my 640 from blueheadsets.com and there was an option to purchase a mini USB adapter there. The site says it will be available from early to mid-November sometime.
Closed Thread