BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
ovoco5

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2
Lightbulb User MOVED - Now can't SEND

Please Login to Remove!

This week I’ve built a new BES server (with the help of a consultant). When creating people on it I find everything is 100% perfect. However when I move someone from the old BES to the new one I’ve found a bad problem.

The emails they had received prior to the move do not give them the option to send. They get reply, but no send option. This occurs whether you type any text or not.
The only work around for this is to forward the email.
The users at my company (350) live and die by their Blackberry, and at best can be quite fickle. So you can imagine I’m trying do this as remotely as possible. Can anyone suggest a way of fixing this.
Could it have something to do with the pre-MOVE email having been delivered from a different BES to what that device now links too? I have a suspicion that I may need to resend the service books or regenerate an encryption key, however I wanted to check in case someone else had any other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers

Ovoco5
Old 12-17-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
Logvin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

How are you moving them? If it is a 1by1 kinda deal, you will need to do a security wipe on each device in between each move. The IT policy (among other things) gets stuck on a device and before it can be moved to a new server must be removed.

The service book and encyption key wont help, sorry. I'd recommend getting the users devices, backing them up, wipeing them, restoring everything but calendar, tasks, memo, messages, removing from old server, then add to new server.

I realize this sucks. I have 1000+ users.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
ovoco5

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2
Exclamation

Hello Logvin,

it's not quite on a 1by1 basis using Blackberry Manager. I can select several at a time, then under Account select MOVE. It then displays the new BES and I select that.
A problem is that when I do select it, I get told that the new server is not running. On the new BES I then select add users, and they and the hand helds start initializing straight away.
Looking at the users details on the Blackberry manager, Policys do errror. But we thought this didn't have any serious side effects after testing. Of course like all best plans once I moved roughly 15 I then found there was a problem sending emails from emails that were already there previous to the move.
I've never had to back a device up, but from what you say, its sounds like I may as well take the devices then wipe them and restore the user to the new BES.

I find it unbelieveable that something like this hasn't had some sort of migration tool developed. It's not as though I'm taking the users from different domains or server types.
We thought it best to put the users on a faster server, now it's looking like it's going to take some time to get this done!

Thanks

Ovoco5
Closed Thread