Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #160
BoogieNYC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Tour Problems

Call Timer -- weird number display (temporarily wonks out);
Battery Door -- Loose and wiggles while closed/sealed;
Some Sounds/Vibrate Profiles not responsive (Facebook vibrates despite notifications for Facebook being disabled/silent);
Battery life is mediocre at best;
Call Quality occasionally is mediocre;
Phone gets warm easily (charging, talking, data use);
The version of Hold 'Em that is included with the device frequently displays a clock icon (when entering a bet, backing up, or ending the application);
The inclusion of a USB micro (not mini) plug makes charging/data transfer a lot less easy than it would be with the mini plug;
The non-Verizon theme (Precision Zen) is useful but not great, would love new themes.

Finally, on occasion, I get a random reset that takes up to five minutes to resolve itself. That little clock icon is on a white screen and nothing for awhile. Not sure what this is, but if it continues after the next version of the OS hits I'm swapping mine out. I dunno if it's a problem with the phone, the OS, or if Verizon is just trying to torture me, but something's up

I'd buy this phone again in a heartbeat, it's definitely an improvement over the Curve (my Curve would crap out daily thanks to Facebook and other RAM-intensive applications). However, some of these problems might be more than just first-version problems.

My first major concern was the battery. I received the phone via Fedex (pre-order) and since that day I've had to charge the phone pretty regularly. I got two drop-in cradle/chargers (RIM products) so it's not painful to charge, but data transfer is a bit of a chore. No big deal, but I wish they'd stayed with the mini and not gone to the micro. Harder to connect, and I'm hoping the port lasts a year. Not optimistic.

The second issue was with the wonky stuff -- the call timer, the Facebook notifications (and other mysterious notifications) that I shouldn't be getting...I think sometimes this thing has a mind of its own, or -- more likely -- that RIM/VZW need to do some more tweaking to make sure these weird phenomena don't remain with the phone in the coming OS revision.

The third issue -- the battery door. This phone feels fairly tight (much moreso than the Curve). The keyboard has a good rubbery texture to it and I'm comfortable typing on it. So why did they include a wiggly, jiggly battery door? The door, btw, has a carbon fiber pattern on it that looks pleasant, but once Seidio or another company comes out with a replacement (like the one I got for my now-retired Curve) I am guessing I'll be buying.

My guess is the balance of my "complaints" will be addressed with the next OS revision. Battery life will get better -- this is the same battery as is in the Storm, so I've got faith it will be improved. The theme issue will be cleared up once Plazmic moves forward with its kit, and there is always an early-adopter price to pay. But some of these complaints, I hope, will be remedied soon.

I'll repeat, however, that I've no regrets in getting this phone, or doing so early on. Really solid and despite the little speed-bumps, it's a solid product and I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

Last edited by BoogieNYC; 08-11-2009 at 03:03 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote