Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #61
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Ok, what's up with all of these countries suddenly being freaked out by BlackBerry devices? Now Germany has entered the mix.
I think part of it is that the UAE stuff has made this a high-profile political issue. Politicians are now saying, "We should have this too! In case of... you know, emergencies and stuff."

However, I think the bigger problem is that all these countries recently discovered that some other countries (US, UK, Canada, etc.) can see BlackBerry traffic, and have been able to see it for who knows how long. And they're ticked that such an ability exists but that they don't have it.

In a way, I get it - if you are Germany or Saudi Arabia, and members of your government or other persons of interest within your borders use BlackBerry devices for either work or play, it is theoretically possible for other countries to monitor the content of those messages while you are unable to do the same. It may not work that way in fact, but how could any government be sure?

In short, I think everyone left the whole BB encryption thing alone while they believed that everyone else was equally blind. Now everyone wants in.
Offline   Reply With Quote