BadBadBMan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: fido
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_44 View Post
Hello Fellow Crackberry's,

I have the pearl, tmobile and was wanting to purchase a GPS receiver.

I have read Stinsonddog's (spelling?) review for the GPS but am still confused and was hoping for some advice:

It seems as if these 2 GPS receiver's work really well with the pearl and have received great reviews:

Globalsat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS receiver review

Holux GPSlim (GR-236) Review

Question is, which one to buy with a Pearl, which has kind of a slow processor?

Also, if I get Telenav, will it be slow? Will it take a while to load? Supposing i do have EDGE or GPRS in the area. I am just very skeptical about this because I have never used one of these things before. I come from Brazil (now in the U.S) and we dont have these things there...

I just want to know that my money will go a long way with Telenav, or any other software that will reroute my once I get lost and that I can also click "find Me" and then type in where I need to go once its found me. And that also works in any state i go in the US?

Know what I mean?

Sigh, im sorry, I am just very confused. Stinsonddog's(spelling?) did clarify a lot of the questions and I may know that some of my questions were answered in his thing but then again, I have never used one of these things so I am very skeptical.

Thanks in advance.

Number
I have the same experience with you before. I do a lot of research. It is not so expensive product. But I prefer the best one, no headache in future.
The speed is depend on the GPS chipset. Currently, Sirf III is best and popular chipset maker. You can get their info on Welcome to SiRF Technology.

Some of GPS receivers use this chipset. you can get its info from their description.

Since I am in Toronto. So I prefer to buy from local stores. I can try it first then buy it.
I bought from this company:
MOCIS Bluetooth GPS with FM modulator (car) SiRF StarIII chipset-MOCIS-Toronto car alarm -Remote start-Car DVD-Car PC-Car stereo-auto security-Supplier-Distributor
It works with Pearl maps very well. Response is quite fast. If I drive fast, that green light(seems meaning communicating with setllites) is always on, when I am walking, it flashes slowly. If I stop for 5 minutes, it turn off automatically.

And the best thing is it has FM modulator built-in. I saw my friend uses it on his NOKIA N73 work wieh Mapking. It sends voice to car speaks, promts you turn to turn directions.
I can not find any one has FM features. Would recommend this!