Old 08-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: "Refurbishing" old phones for charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecr View Post
I have used JL_Cmder/resettofactory to remove the BES from the 2 I've experimented on. This seems to have removed personal data. Question is, is this a secure method, or is it possible to restore the data somehow? And does it remove everything or could there be any details of the previous user and company hidden away somewhere?
Yes, it is a secure method. No, there's no way to restore the data, unless they had a backup of the data. Yes, it removes everything, it will be as if they just turned it on for the first time.

Quote:
They have all been used in BES environment, is there a better alternative to JL_Cmder or BBSAK to remove the BES features and data?
No, this is going to be the best bet to remove any IT Policies.

Quote:
The IT dept think that some phones are password protected and IT failed to get the password from the user. If the password isn't known, is there anyway of me removing the BES? If not, is there anyway the IT dept can reset the password?
As stated above, enter in an incorrect password 10 times and that will wipe the device. However, the IT Policy will still be on the device, but the password will be removed. You will still need to do a ResetToFactory to remove the IT Policy.

Quote:
If any 3rd party apps have been installed, will the factory reset remove them, leave them on the phone but not installed, or leave them fully functioning?
It will remove all 3rd party applications.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline   Reply With Quote