Thread: Reading Chinese
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Sorry for the confusion. Blackberry works in 2 environments: BES in the enterprise setting, and BWC (Blackberry Web Client) for individuals. When you install the Desktop Manager initially, it asks you if you will be using an exchange server on BES or the BWC. If you select BES, then the Desktop Manager also includes an application called the Redirector. Thr redirector has a number of features, most of which it is not worth covering here, but if you are in the BES environment, one of the issues it covers is the auto signature that is added at the end of every email message you send.

Most likely, you are using the BWC - in other words, you are an individual, handling the Blackberry issues on your own via the carrier's web site. So, you should have no problem using this version of the handheld OS. If I'm wrong, and you are on a BES server in an enterprise setting, then you should definitely ask your IT support people whether or not to upgrade.

I personally access a hosted BES service via mailstreet.com. I installed and ran 3.7.3 without any issues at all, even though I was on a BES environment -- I simply lived without the ability to manipulate the auto signature -- everything else continued to work fine.

Worst case scenario, you can backup everything before the upgrade, and if it doesn't work, you can roll everything back.

Hope this explains things a bit.

Ian