View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry Desktop Manager v4.2 - Capturing USB driver!!

Please Login to Remove!

I AM OFFICIALLY FRUSTRATED.

Our corporate environment takes applications and distributes them centrally to end-user PCs through an "image". It's actually through Novell's AOT/SUSE distribution process, much like WSUS.

Anyhow, we created an image for DTM 4.2. Sent it out to users who have the Blackberry Pearl and this is where we run into an issue. Installation works but the Pearl is NEVER detected. "Mass Storage Device" is found but NEVER the Blackberry.

FINE. Start, My Computer, Hardware, Device Manager, USB Controllers, Blackberry Device. Update the driver to the USB Drivers in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion. It updates the driver to the latest one dated 2006/10/05. At this point, the Blackberry is detected now by DTM 4.2.

Unfortunately, this solution only works 50% of the time. Half the time the Blackberry Device doesn't even show up in the Device Manager so I can't even force the driver to be "updated".

There is TOO MUCH inconsistency here to get it to work. As a result, we have held off on activating/ordering any Blackberry Pearls. I'm going to guess this problem is going to carry-over to the 8800 as well. Windows doesn't have the correct drivers off the bat to communicate with these Blackberry units and apparently the driver push down from DTM 4.2 isn't always for sure either.

And if that wasn't enough, if users had previous versions of DTM installed, the DTM 4.2 installation wouldn't work 1/2 the time.

Thanks for hearing me gripe!! I'm open to suggestions!
Offline   Reply With Quote