View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Question Hotspot Browser vs. Internet Browser

Please Login to Remove!

This may be a stupid question so let me apologize in advance. Have had the Bold for a couple weeks and am very happy with it. Just started messing around w/ wifi the last few days (have a pretty solid 3G signal in most places so haven't really needed it) and this is my first BB w/ wifi. When I go into my Browser options it lists 4 different browsers under "Browser Configuration":

Hotspot Browser
Blackberry Browser
Internet Browser
MediaNet

Under Options / Advanced Options / Browser I have my defaults set as follows:

Default browser config: Internet Browser
Default MDS browser config: BlackBerry Browser
Default WAP browser config: MediaNet

For my Internet Browser and HotSpot browsers I have "Browser Identification" set to "Internet Explorer", for the others I have it set to "BlackBerry" - this lets me view the real HTML web pages on most sites (or at least that's my understanding).

Ok so now here's my question - do I need to be in the Hotspot Browser to be using WiFi? In other words if I have WiFi turned on and I just click on a regular bookmark (which I have set to use the Internet Browser) will it be using Wifi or will it be using my regular wireless connection (e.g. EDGE or 3G)?

I'm hoping that if Wifi is on, it just automatically gives you the added speed regardless of which browser you are using. If that is the case, then what is the point of the Hotspot browser.

And if that's not the case (e.g. I need to be in the Hotspot browser), how do I manually get in there? I have separate browser icons for the Internet Browser and for MediaNet but that's it.

While we are on this topic, I always wondered what the BlackBerry browser does vs. the Internet Browser (MediaNet I know is AT&T's ghetto WAP browser which I never use).

Sorry for the longwinded post but I just want to make sure I am understanding things correctly. BB really doesn't make this stuff easy. It took me a while to figure out the "Browser Identification" settings.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EricScott; 11-25-2008 at 03:32 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote