Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asskick View Post
Latest: 1.7.4 beta2
http://ota.deltatech.com.mx/
I have a paid copy of Rove MobileSSH (paid before I worked for them for a year a few years ago). Although I don't work for them anymore, I must say I am dissapointed at their decisions. Now it has been more than 2 years since I worked for them, so I think it's safe for me to open up.

Good work on making a better version of midpssh for BlackBerry. I want to see more BlackBerry-specific enhancements sometime -- including an options screen with configurable font sizes as well as a similiar autohide edit buffer as Rove MobileSSH -- maybe you should publish the GNU-copylefted source code?

I am extremely familiar with this type of terminal programming. I worked with serial/ANSI/VT100/VT102/VT220 escape codes from early 1990's writing my own doors for BBS systems (old-fashioned consumer online bulletin board systems, before Internet became popular), including SuperChatter, a color version of a UNIX-like 'talk' split screen, but for DOS BBS systems, and it was so advanced that it behaved like a split screen text editor (sysop edits top half, user edits bottom half - cursor up/down/left/right/insert/delete/scroll/etc), which requires me to have very advanced knowledge of ANSI/VT escape codes to pull this off with maximum compatibility with end users' displays. I used this knowledge to help the original developer massively improve Rove (formerly Idokorro) MobileSSH's support, even though I was officially working on other Idokorro projects, though I originally joined Idokorro partially because I was very impressed with their MobileSSH/telnet software. I wrote an ANSI escape codes testing suite for the MobileSSH developer at Idokorro, which was used to verify a lot of things -- including scroll-related codes (Esc[nn@ Esc[nnP Esc[nnM etc...) which was used to greatly improve performance in text editors running over terminals, extensions I had used for my split-screen chat program that was editable.

Either way, my services are available, if any corporation wants help to release a telnet/ssh program into the upcoming BlackBerry App Center. (Tho, paid apps, can't use GPL copyleft open source code, for obvious reasons) Now that there is no paid competition in any standalone telnet/ssh apps, the time is ripe for a new company to fill this void. Or to turn this free app into something *better* than Rove MobileSSH. Right now, while better than before, this midpssh isn't yet as good as MobileSSH which I still use to this day as an end-user (In some cases, it is still possible to reactivate it by phone or email, if you already have a paid MobileSSH registration like I have)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-25-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote