Old 04-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #63
ssj2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Here are some fave apps on my 8900, and why (plus a few other comments on apps I've tried):

BBWeather--Great free weather app, with 5-day forecast and hourly conditions; can set multiple locations and select from a menu. Plus, the homepage icon can display current temp and/or conditions!

QuickLaunch--My main go-to app ($5?), brings up a text menu to launch items. It is actively being improved by the developer. Includes many handy items (activate with a checkbox) like BB status, WiFi setup (when searching for local hotspots), a RESET item (no need for SoftReset or QuickPull anymore!).. I launch with the right convenience button--much easier than going thru icons/folders. It will also launch specific webpages, SMS/email/phone contacts, etc.

GoogleMaps--my other main go-to app. It pulls up my location easily (with or without GPS), and finds any local biz or service quickly, complete with contact info and reviews. I've tried Beyond411 and just don't like it. Also trying out Poynt, but GoogleMaps seems to be more intuitive and generally useful than either.

Slacker--Great radio app with lots of stations for different music types. Tried Iheartradio but Slacker had more stations I like and easier access to them.

BB Browser: This browser just works fine. Have used Opera Mini and Bolt for a bit, but these browsers seem to require too much additional configuration/options for specific sites to get optimal viewing. The regular BB browser is great for simple surfing.

Vlingo--Still installed on my 8900 but it may not last. It's a voice-activated app launcher and message transcriber (so you can dictate emails, etc.). Doesn't feel 'right' or easy to use (always requires some fiddling, etc.). Good idea, lacks in execution. I prefer launching apps with QuickLaunch, and dictation requires too much editing.

Shazam--Fun music-tagging app; just hold it up to any music you hear and it returns the song/artist within 30 seconds or so.

AP Mobile News--Great app for checking the latest news/sports/entertainment headlines; can also set up multiple locations for 'local' news items. Be sure to quit this app from the menu, as it continues to run if you exit by the 'back' key!

BBTetris--nice, free version of this timeless addiction.

DataVault--Comprehensive secure data app (passwords, credit cards, accounts, etc.) ($15?) with a secure desktop companion app. Very flexible with user-created categories, subcategories, and several formats for data pages.

RepliGo--great app for reading pdf files ($20?), works well on the 8900. For business users, it's a nice companion to Docs To Go.

BatteryBooster ($10?)--still checking this out for improving battery life a bit.

------------
No Facebook, MySpace, Twitter for me. Call me old-school, but I still prefer human interaction!

And I'm still looking for a good, free scientific calculator (preferably not rpn!).
May have to take a look at that QuickLaunch app you mentioned...