Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #17
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirexInc View Post
maybe there is some confusion here. there are 2 types of data plans. BIS data plan and BIS+BES data plan. BES is a server, its not an internet provider at all. How do you think when you are connected to a BES that you get all your emails? How do you think the BES even sends out information? The BES will send the info out through the internet and the internet will then push it to your device
In fact, both BES and BIS are Internet Services. Neither is an Internet provider. AT&T Wireless is not an Internet provider; they are a carrier ... a moble operator if you prefer. Same goes for TMo, VZW, etc ...

BES = BlackBerry Enterprise Server; yes I know this.

I get all my mail through my carrier branded BlackBerry Internet Service that RIM provides and the BES my company manages ... well actually I get data in 2KB chunks from RIMs NOC that gets routed through my carrier (or ISP if I'm using WiFi) to my device.

Try removing the BIS service books from your HH and you'll see that your device will still function perfectly fine on your BES.

There are really 3 classes of Service Books:

1) Provisioning
2) BIS
3) BES

You've mashed 1 & 2 together incorrectly. Take a step back, take a deep breath, realizing that you probably know a lot about how BBs work (and probably more than a lot of people here) ... but look at how you're phrasing everything and review the tone you're taking. Be helpful, and provide advice ... don't make people feel like they have to be on the defensive; treat them as you want to be treated.
Offline   Reply With Quote