View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzurboy View Post
Currently ATT phones will not roam in japan and i heard a rumor of a world phone like the verizon 8830 is coming to ATT?

our CEO needs a phone to work anywhere in the world with data asap and my shop refuses to buy a single verizon blackberry, so im open to suggestions
As was mentioned earlier, the 8830 will not work in Japan either. The 8800 (now 8820?) will work anywhere the 8830 will. I find it humorus that Verizon is hyping a capability that quad band GSM phones have had for years.

You can get the maximum coverage with a quad band GSM and tri-band UMTS phone (850/1900/2100). 2100MHz UMTS will work in Japan and Korea. Two options are the Treo 750 and the HTC TyTn (AT&T 8525). The new model HTC TyTn II (also known as the Kaiser) is out (Google it, several online retailers have it). The AT&T version (the Tilt 8925) is supposed to be out in the next couple of weeks. RIM is supposed to be coming out with a UMTS tri-band Blackberry 9xxx, but its release date seems to be receding on the horizon.

From what I can gather, the best option for world coverage right now is an AT&T 8925 running the Blackberry Connect 4.0 software using AT&T's Blackberry International data plan. That gets you unlimited data just about anywhere in the world.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...tc-kaiser.html
Offline   Reply With Quote