View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
It is NOT racist, as written. The language was lifted directly from the federal statutes (that currently are NOT enforced)... language has been added to specifically forbid racial profiling.
I disagree, FJ. It doesn't matter if "language has been added." People act on their prejudices no matter what any piece of paper says. The bottom line is that it's highly unlikely that a cop in Arizona will suspect anyone of being an illegal immigrant who doesn't walk, talk, look or act like they are of Mexican or Central American descent.

For example, I'm sure it would never occur to them to ask for citizenship papers from someone like me when I have fair skin, blue eyes and an Appalachian accent. Someone like Giselle, however, who's as much a citizen as I am, might be asked to prove it. How is that situation right?

And suppose we two threw a girly party in Arizona and decided to sneak Noodle into the country to join us. Think they'd ever card Noodle, even though she's NOT a citizen??? I'd bet my entire life savings that it would not happen. Why? Because she's white.

I think most people would agree that there is NO WAY this law will be enforced fairly across all populations. Worse, I don't think the authors of the bill ever intended it to be.

Because of that, it is inherently racist. No matter what it says.

Edit: Yes, I read the bill (when it was still a bill).

Last edited by kathrynhr; 05-11-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote