View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #209
gibodean
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: o2
Default Wifi on Bold on O2?

Hi all,

I see the frenzied activity on this thread a few months ago, and I can only hope that wifi on O2 has therefore been sorted out.

I'm about to upgrade my pearl on O2 to a Bold (18 month contract with unlimited email/web), and want to check some things :

1. My SIM is probably 18 months old. Will I need a new one to use 3G and wifi, or can I use my existing one ?
2. Should I otherwise expect wifi to work ? (Ie, thanks to you guys, does O2 now seemlessly support it for all BIS unlimited customers, or do I need to speak some secret codewords to get mine activated?)
3. What exactly does it mean for wifi to "work" ? I know I can browse the web over it, but will emails and sms come over wifi ? Can I make phonecalls over wifi like they do in the USA (using "UMA")? I suspect that O2 doesn't support UMA...
4. Can anyone tell me what great things can be done with wifi on a Bold, apart from calls and emails. What are some good apps I should get ?

I'm going to Japan to get married next month, and O2's roaming costs a fortune. I'm hoping I can use as much as possible of my phone's wifi abilities while I'm there. If O2 doesn't support UMA, are there any wifi voip clients the bold does support ? Skype would be sweet.

Or, I'm considering signing up for vodafone UK for a month while in Japan. Their "passport" service for international roaming is much better value than O2's roaming costs.
Offline   Reply With Quote