View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
charsiu

Model: 7100t
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default BES 5 - Application Management - Force all Apps to Update?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All!

We are currently running on BES 5.0.4.27, and we don't have any existing policies in terms of software or application management. Our handsets are provided to users with whatever applications that come as standard and they are free to download applications as they wish.

We have a security request to understand whether it is possible to apply some form of mandatory policy to update all applications on our handsets wirelessly (i.e. we don't want to have a handset recall to our service desk), whether they are standard to the handset or new.

My experience with BES isn't that extensive, bar the usual day to day administration, running reports installing licenses so would like to get some more definitive answers whether this is achievable.

I did some research previously and came across these articles that appear to achieve at least some of our requirements:

support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?ArticleNumber=000020556

support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?ArticleNumber=000015631

The section "Complete BlackBerry Smartphone Device Software update" - Is it safe to assume that the complete update includes actual application updates for apps that come as standard (Facebook, for example?)

My thoughts after going through those two articles is that if the Complete Update covers "out the box" application, we will have a smaller task of identifying the "extra" applications users have downloaded and decide whether or not to set policies to push out newer versions of those applications.

Thanks for now!

EDIT: I'm not allowed to post direct links due to my brand new account!
Offline   Reply With Quote