View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default FCC Mandate for Roaming and Pay-Go BIS?

Please Login to Remove!

So as we're all aware by now, the FCC mandated that the major carriers share their infrastructure at "commercially reasonable" rates. That means smaller carriers will be able to negotiate roaming agreements and everyone will enjoy better networks. Well, maybe not the majors who will be forced to open up bandwidth for others, but for smaller carriers it should be a boon.

Maybe I'm stretching things here, but I see this as an overall loosening of the data restrictions carriers can impose, and a chance for some upstart little company to come along and offer what we're missing in the U.S.: Pay-Go BlackBerry Data Plans. Network infrastructure was always a nearly insurmountable barrier to entry into the industry. Now perhaps we will see more competition, maybe some new players, and maybe even one that uses pre-paid BB data plans as it's edge. If a company were to be successful at pre-paid BB data service, the majors would be tripping over themselves to match if and cash in themselves.

Pie in the sky? Unbridled and unrealistic optimism? Could be. And it would be years before we see it, if we are to see it at all. However, this could be the spark that sets it in motion. Am I nuts?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/07/f...-verizon-aren/
Offline   Reply With Quote