Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
LoveMyNewBB

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I didn't want to bump an old thread, so I am reposting this here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnMOD View Post
For anyone having the issue with Desktop Manager stating "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer", this may resolve your problem (it worked for me even with Bluetooth):

1) Make sure no "Desktop Manager" components are running. You may need to kill BbDevMgr.exe, RIMDeviceManager.exe, and DesktopMgr.exe using Task Manager

2) Run regedit.exe

3) Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Manager

4) Create a new 32bit dword reg value named "DeviceConnection" and set the value to 1

5) Launch Desktop Manager

For me this was a new install in a VM I created to test this with. I noticed that there was no value named "DeviceConnection" where one does exist on a machine of mine that is working. Once I did this, then DM would at least start up and not show that stupid message screen where it then does not allow you to select the device. It appears that the programmers at RIM need to go back to school and learn how to test application updates and use FRESH computer images for their testing.

HTH

I am trying to see if this will work for me, but I am not as technologically advanced as the OP. I can get as far as step #4 but am not sure exactly what I need to do to create a new reg value (and am a little scared of messing with my reg keys).

Does anyone else recommend this and can you walk me step by step through what I need to do for step 4 as indicated above?
Offline   Reply With Quote