View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #22
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
Thanks for all your work on this. Did it eventually install successfully? And lastly: I've got an AT&T-branded (and locked) 8300 that works fine. Does there appear to be a reason to upgrade to this newer version of firmware? Any idea how I might benefit from it?
Yup - it all installed just fine on my AT&T-branded, unlocked Curve, and it's working fine on T-Mobile right now.

I'm not aware of any particular improvements, so I don't think there are any compelling reasons to rush out and upgrade. However, if you ever have a problem with your device, the first thing a tech support or customer service rep will ask you to do is to upgrade to the latest version.

Intermediate releases like this (as denoted by the fact that the major numbers like 4.2.2 haven't changed) are almost always little more than minor bug fixes. The only part of the number that has changed is the last part of 4.2.2.173 -- the "173". That's generally the "build number", used by software developers to distinguish by working, complete "builds" of the software they have compiled. Different software shops might have slightly different takes on the distinction between "major" and "minor" versions and "builds". But in general, if it's only the build number that has changed, you can be pretty confident that it is only a few bugs that have been dealt with in a given release.

That being said: new builds may have addressed issues that affect your user experience. I find that to be important, so I tend to try the latest builds. The kinds of issues you may see resolved in new builds might include things like:
- better memory management
- improvement response time for some tasks
- a resolution to the "disappearing folder" issue that some of us used to experience
- inclusion of a minor upgrade to one of the component applications, like the Media Player
- faster recovery of a GPRS signal after having been in an out-of-signal condition

Actual visible changes in functionality would likely be denoted by a change in one of the more significant digits of the release number.

In short: not necessary, you may not see a difference, but there are likely to be subtle improvements.
Offline   Reply With Quote