Urlryn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default BES Problem and Migration

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings all!

Little background here on my existing BES.

Inherited a single standalone from a pervious admin (aren't we all so lucky! )
This box has been upgraded and tinkered with since stoneages like version 2x.

Current Version is: 4.1.0.38 MSDE: 2000.86.1830.0
Database Name: BESMgmt

Last upgrade attempt prior to me inheriting it was moving the server from 4.1.0.38 to 4.1.4. This failed and was restored from backup. Second attempted failed and again restored.

The box is currently having lots of problems with the OS and Blackberry.
example:
Having to restart BB services or the server 2-3 times a day
Reinstalling the BES Mgr 4.1 on a laptop/desktop generates a error when trying to connect to it to the old server database. The error basically states that I need to upgrade to the latest version of the BES Mgr software. Downloaded the current version on Blackberry/RIM website. I got the Same error. Tried several different version. Users that already have the software installed are not affected. Just if we have to reinstall we can't.

So time to get rid of this old dog!

Plan A
First I built a second blackberry server up to 4.1.0.38 to match the existing one. Then attempted to link them together so I could just migrate the users over to the new server.

But no matter what I tried I couldn't get them to see each other or link the new server to the old server database. When I attempted to connect to the old BES database I would get error stating that the Database was a PRE 4.0 database?

How can the database be Pre 4.0 when it was upgraded to 4.1?
Is there a way around this just to get the users to the new server?

Plan B
Build a second blackberry server up to the latest version. And pray there is a utility or some way to migrate all 550 worldwide users to the new server without having to reactivate every blackberry?

Thank you

Last edited by Urlryn; 10-26-2007 at 10:14 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote