Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
OVERKILL
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: QNX powered devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
If the new BB10 devices are anything like the Playbook, and I believe they will be, you should be able to throw them on ActiveSync and possibly use any MDM you currently are using. Thus eliminating the need for Mobile Fusion altogether.
Right, but this essentially obsoletes my BES, so what is the motivation to stick with RIM devices going forward if my BES won't manage them? And if I want the same level of control going forward with RIM devices that the BES currently offers, I have to buy this product?

You can see what I'm getting at right? There are organizations that already have a fair bit of money invested in BES software and the hardware to run it. Their motivation to stick with RIM devices is this investment. If they have to buy new software (and potentially hardware) to manage the new crop of RIM devices, what is to stop them from changing platforms all together?

And then there are mixed organizations like yours and mine that have a BES in place and perhaps leverage an MDM to handle "the herd", but at least part of the tie to continue on with the RIM devices is the investment in the BES. If that investment is obsoleted, then the BB becomes nothing more than another ActiveSync device with nothing to set it apart from its Apple, Android and Windows Mobile peers.

That's my gripe. If they retained BES support, than those already invested in BES would be motivated to roll out the BB OS 10 devices in place of more IOS, Android and Windows Mobile devices.
Blackberry user since 2001.
Offline   Reply With Quote