View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q20
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BT
Post Key2 pre-released and priced at £580 (UK)

Please Login to Remove!

Waiting for the Key2: Will the new owners of BlackBerry figure out the secrets to making a good mobile keyboard before this release?

• I have been stuck in time on a "Classic" because that is the newest phone to feature the excellently-refined BlackBerry keyboard.
  • I rejected the "Passport" because that model de-emphasised and downgraded the keyboard.
  • The "KeyOne" was a correction, but it failed my in-store test because the keys were unrefined and not differenced between left & right.

Will the Key2 be my upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired
TCL has redesigned the BlackBerry keyboard of the KEY2. It looks similar, but the keys are 20 per cent taller that last year's. They are well contoured, and using them brings up 10-year-old memories of BlackBerry..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRadar
According to BlackBerry Mobile, the brand spent time working out the "clickability"; of the Bold 9900, one of the most popular BlackBerry devices of all time, to transport that feel to the new Key2.

I am sure BlackBerry designers were years ahead of me, but it does feel like they were tuning into my complaints about their spate of "wrong" keyboards!

Emerging images of the new Key2 suggest BlackBerry is returning to being an expert in keyboard design, with deep ergonomic contours to differentiate left from right. This model is certainly worthy of another in-store test..

The other major topic is software compatibility. The "Classic" that I use is part-compatible with Android apps (many do work); and "Key2" is fully compatibility because it has:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRadar
Android Oreo 8.1 on board ... with Google Assistant and Lens inside, and ... the full suite of Google Play apps.
The new retail price is now known to be about £580 (64Gb version).

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 06-07-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote