View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #16
bjallen2880
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodor
I have tried spot with my GPS and 7290. Only couuld get it to show me where I was and that was it. I mean the GPS did plot me accuratly but it did not move as I drove? Also does not support routing. Maps look good. Did I do something wrong that it should work better? What are your experiences?
Last Friday I purchased Spot version 1.3.1 with high hopes. Over the weekend the hopes quickly faded. I tried to use the waypoint and map features to go from point A to point B which was walking distance. I tried the waypoint "route to" feature and it appeared to be extremely slow in updating location and direction. Frequently the hourglass would pop up but not update. So I tried the "map feature" and zoom. Both options were unsucessful in showing me a map. Sometimes the map would show, but only for a split second and then it would say 'loading' in the lower right corner. I also could not get the other layers (such as Google maps) to load.

When I was checking out this software before purchase, I had figured that this was limitations of the unregistered trial. It appears to not be the case. I figured the processor on the 8700 would be fast enough to handle the application, but it appears the application is too processor intensive for this unit.

If I go into Hardware Info in the program, I have the following:
CLDC: 1.1
MIDP:2.0
JSR75: not supported
JSR82: not supported
JSR179: supported
Pointer Events: not supported

I'm using a T-Mobile USA BlackBerry 8700g (4.1.0.286) and a Wintec Bluetooth GPS WBT-200LX. I was only in GPRS coverage at the time of the test, but it seems the same in EDGE as well.

I eagerly welcome any suggestions or offerings.