View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
wiliam00

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Free Games and Applications for Pearl - Check it out

Please Login to Remove!

I've owned a Blackberry Pearl 8130 for a week and spent days to explore it. I came here first to see if anybody knows how to install games and applications to the Pearl since we all know that Blackberry uses a different type of Java, the .alx and .cod files instead of .jar or .jad like other phones. But I can't find the answer. So I look around and now I'm so excited to share it with you guys.
Yet, .alx games and applications are not easy to find, most of them are not free and not very popular. But Jar or Jad applications you can find anywhere, free or dirt cheap.

One website I recommend for free games is 170+ Free Games for your BlackBerry | BB Geeks

Who said BlackBerry cannot install .jar applications and games? You're wrong! It could. Here is how:
Download the jad/jar file onto your PC.
Check it has the right extension (.jar or .jad) by right click and check properties on the file. The download might need unziping.
Connect your blackberry to Desktop Manager
Open your Media Manager application in Desktop Manager
In the right hand window Make a new folder, for example My Blackberry/Device Memory/Games
or you can creat the folder on your Media card, it works also.
Copy your JAD/JAR files from your PC into the that folder.

Now you must follow EXACTLY these instructions
If you copy the jar files to the Media card, you must unplug it before process to next steps.

Open Media on the Blackberry
press the right button next to the trackball (Menu)
Click Explore
Click Media card or Device memory (where you put the files)
Keep browsing until you see your /Games Folder
press the right button next to the trackball (Menu)
Click Open
Select the JAR file
Select "Download"

The phone will act like the PC, ask you that this application is not digitally signed or whatever, are you sure you want to install it? blablabla, of course, choose YES. Applications will load on to your blackberry and is now available in your application menu.

I've also found using this method that I can load to my media card games/HTML files/Text files/PDF and read them but you must use the EXPLORE,OPEN menus to see them otherwise the pearl does not see the files.

Good luck to you all

p/s: Some tips for installing games: If your JAR game is too large, it might run well in other Sony ericsson or Nokia phone, but will be failed to Download to BB. It has some kind of limited in size for application and I have now find out yet. If any of you know what's the limit, please share. Appreciate.

Last edited by wiliam00; 04-13-2008 at 08:40 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote