Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #19
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default Re: Dissappointed with 9900 on Telus - many issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd75 View Post
So I have had my 9900 for a few days, I was all excited about it but it really has some issues compared to my 9700 running OS6. Interested to hear from others on Telus.

Battery Life

Where do I start? I can't even get a full 8 hr business day out of the battery and that is with barely any usage. Mostly emails coming in a few bbms and a few phone calls and the battery was in the red by 3pm?? Towards the end of my time with my 9700 I was getting about a 1.5days and I thought that was bad!
Although the first 2days I'd agree, after fully discharging and charging by wall-socket (since out the box no pre-charge initial use) my 9900's battery life has lasted a 12hr day - with WLAN on all the data being used over WLAN; 15 emails every 10mins like clockwork at the on-site support desk, browsing etc. I see no difference between it or my 16GB iPhone 4.

Quote:
Signal Quality

After hours is when I need my phone the most. On weekends I am usually in the Barrie/Orillia area on Lake Simcoe. Previously on my 9700 the signal was not the greatest but I was always able to get calls and data. This 9900 is constantly on 1 bar and dropping out. Calls droppings etc. Totally unacceptable.
Coverage | Plans | TELUS Mobility

Although Telus claims 3G coverage over Lake Simcoe, entirely ... we ALL know that water dissipates radio waves of any kind quite quickly. Sorry but I would NOT expect ANY cellphone to have coverage in Lake Simcoe or any large body of water similar in that size or greater; maybe a pond. Did you try a manual search for other carriers as a blind test to see if its Telus vs the device?

Quote:
Task Switcher issue

As others have mentioned for some reason this new OS constantly throws you in to the task switcher and you can't get out of it as you normally would by hitting the end key.
Odd, why would you use the "end" key to escape from the task switcher, why not try the escape key or the menu key both should work, if not either. There is usually an alternative so this is just nit-picking based on habits. I know because I tend to do that too.

Quote:
The Weathernetwork Weather Eye App
never used this so I cannot comment.

Quote:
This 9900 needs an OS update bad, I am a big fan of BB's the 9900 is fantastic for typing with my big hands, but these issues make it unusable and unreliable for me. I need something that works and has a battery that lasts.
I feel for you. I do recommend a firmware update - not from the carrier to see how it fairs. I also suggest manual network searching the next weekender fishing on Simcoe, beautiful lake I've heard. Lastly, continue to drain and charge - 2x at least - and see how battery life lasts.