View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre626
I don't agree with you's.With removable memory you could save allsorts of stuff.Important emails,Pictures,Attachment and you could even backup your BB.
Wrong. Memory cards can be made 100% safe and secure in a BlackBerry. Just simply treat the card as a memory upgrade module instead ("File Free: 500,000,000+") and use the existing memory "Content Protection" system found in Options->Security. Makes it impossible to steal data.

A specific memory card would be signed to work only with that particular BlackBerry, and be uncrackable even by CIA, just like when CIA removed the built-in flash chips to try to crack the memory. The removable flash card would apply identical encryption, it'd just be easier to remove -- but equally hard to crack.

In addition, SIM-card style memory called MicroSD are "semi-permanently" affixed behind the battery (like SIM card), making losing the card a total non-issue. For more information, read my previous article above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Which you will lose or will be stolen.

A bad idea...
Wrong. A total nonissue. Read the above.

Repeat after me....
"MEMORY UPGRADE MODULE", not "FLASH MEDIA"

100% secure, 100% encrypted, 100% safe in a BlackBerry, and since it's put semipermanently inside the BlackBerry just like a SIM card, loss is a nonissue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRC
No one heard anything else regarding this? I see it having a purpose especially when document storage. But wont happen unless there is some sort of encrypted data algorithm
The "encrypted data algorithm" is already on your BlackBerry. Just go to Options->Security->Content Protection and turn it on. Your builtin flash memory is now encrypted. Same algorithm could easily be applied to a removable flash memory, which would automatically force it to only function in that particular BlackBerry. Nothing new really needs to be invented.

The main complexity going forward is simply red tape (inertia of introduction to a security-adverse market and squeamish executives), addition of a SIM-like memory card slot (ie MicroSD), and upgraded software to support the extended flash memory (which could potentially be made completely invisible to the applications).
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 09-25-2005 at 09:42 PM..