View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #35
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
What version of Vlingo did you install? I went to their site, and they suggested trying the 4.7 version on OS 5.x.x.x - that started to work in the setup wizard, but then it spontaneously rebooted my 8900 before it finished.

I tried installing the Tour version on the 8900, but that just froze when I ran it.

You found one that really works? All functions? I'd love to try it -- please post details re: version you installed for 5.0.0.238 on the 8900...

thanks!
EDIT: After posting this, I tried one more option -- I uninstalled Vlingo, and then let App World select a version for me to install. Looking at the detailed properties (in Options / Applications), I can see that:
-- it was created on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:25pm
-- is is 1192084 bytes
-- version number is 3.1.0 (although I believe the various platform versions may have the same version number -- not sure this is a differentiator)

End result? Success! The version of Vlingo that App World installed on my 8900 runnin 5.0.0.238 seems to work perfectly. Also -- if I open the app, I can see that it shows as "Vlingo Plus Trial Active". I just made a couple of phone calls with it, sent myself a text message and did a couple of web searches. Seems to be very smooth, voice recognition has been perfect on each of these tests (only a handful so far, but I'm impressed already).

Having this work fills in some of the gap left by the RIM-supplied VAD (voice dialing) by Nuance not working in this OS release. I tend to make heavy use of the Blackberry's voice dialing when I drive and I would miss the capability if not there at all. My impression is that Vlingo's voice recognition is far more flexible (makes sense since much of the work is done on their server farm rather than depending on a voice recognition engine running on the phone itself), so the interactive experience is likely to be better. It also does a lot more than the built-in VAD, such as running web searches and sending text messages by voice command. The one downside in the whole approach seems to be that the built-in VAD is, in fact, local and can respond faster since it has no need to transmit the voice clip to Vlingo for interpretation and then pull the response data back to the phone for action. The faster the network connection, the better, of course.

BTW: as good as the voice recognition seemed to be at first, I can see that it will take some training to get it tuned up completely. Not know what Vlingo can and can't do, I just tried an experiment, telling it:

"Send email to Jon, message This is an email from Jon created with Vlingo"

Vlingo pondered this for a moment, and interpreted it as follows:

"hope middleton mobile call effort to foot the bill called vlingo"

I'm NOT making that up. I have no clue how it came up with that interpretation, so I guess I'll just have to experiment and see how well Vlingo learns to interpret my speech (generally very clear and easy for voice recognition engines to interpret).

All in all, release 238 on the 8900 seems very promising. Definitely closer to a finished product.
Offline   Reply With Quote