View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #20
iporter69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three Australia
Default So much mis-information!

I've had the problem with my Bold not connecting to wifi and saw a lot of posts saying you have to have a data connection before the wifi will work and I can tell you now that this is incorrect.

I stumbled on the solution as to why my BB had not been able to get out of the 'greyed out wifi' icon. So far, I have not seen a single post anywhere that details this issue (not to say there is'nt one!)

Here is how I found my way through:-

Go to 'Manage Connections' > Setup Wifi network > Next > Scan for networks (in my case I had to put in the WEP settings of my home router - once input, as with most devices, you don't need to put them in again if you are running WEP on the network)

Select your desired network.

THEN - and he is the thing that was stopping me: You have to select 'WIFI HOTSPOT LOGIN'. I never selected this in the past and it was this that was causing me to not get the bright Wifi icon!

You will see the Blackberry name/logo, then ' Your BB device is now connected to the internet'.

Wifi works with or without a data plan or SIM card, posters to the contrary take note!

Another point is the Blackberry browser works whether you have the phone connected on wireless or wifi regardless. I just confirmed that one!

Happy BB surfing on wifi! I hope this fixes your problem
Offline   Reply With Quote