View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
vietsb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMedik
This suggests to me that it is relying on your selection and the response it gives is likely based on the stock specs for the browser that you choose, not on any test...

Anyone have any thoughts?

MM
Got some possibly good news. I wasn't going to try the Hong Kong v4.0 OS, but I got curious overnight and just got done loading it. The only scary part is following the new OS files upload, it took something like 7 minutes for the "Connecting to Handheld" portion to complete during the reboot. It was probably shorter, but when you're staring, waiting to see if you crashed your PDA, time really drags...

I tried some previously unavailable SSL sites and they are working!

This is not w/o issues though. Here's a list of post-upgrade differences (so far):

-Chinese-version files don't have to be loaded during upgrade.
-A webmail site I use is getting the SSL lock, but then there's possibly some frames or other incompatibility that isn't letting me go farther due to a HTTP 404 error. No big deal there.
-SSL doesn't seem to recognize Verisign certs so I've had to manually accept certs.
-Copy Network Time in Options|Date/Time seems to reset the BB clock to something relative to GMT. Instead, Request Time seems to sync to network time perfectly. Not sure if this was the previous behavior.
-Added an Enterprise Activation icon on the ribbon for BES connection, which I wasn't using previously.
-GPRS signal strength seems oddly higher. Was 2-3 bars all day yesterday, now 4-5. Not convinced the OS upgrade helped that, but no complaints here.
-Berry411 didn't get reloaded and lost saved address data possibly because I originally installed it over the air. Reloaded and it works great.
-BBToday finally works and isn't giving me the previous (on v3.8) "...trying to access a Secure API" error. The weather feature isn't working yet due to the "Error: could not open tunnel - failed" problem which has been discussed in other posts.
-Reboots seem to take for FOREVER at ~3min. Not sure how long it took before on v3.8.

So I have hope when AT&T WS/Cingular releases their v4.0 OS for the 7290, some of our browser complaints might be resolved.

Keep in mind this is for a AT&T WS/Cingular 7290 so YMMV. So far for me, I give v4.0 a .