View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #44
oconnke1

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden View Post
Just move on and either switch to Sprint or at&t if it is that big of an issue.
I'm glad you mentioned Sprint. I do have a Sprint 8830 and I've been doing a little testing of my GPS. You decide which is better; I'm not sure.

I set my BB 8830 device into "airplane mode." This turns off all connections to the "outside world." Since the GPS only receives signals and doesn't transmit, it doesn't affect any airplane equipment, and it shouldn't need to be turned off. Right? NOT! When I turned off the Sprint Mobile Network in the Mobile Connections application, the 8830 GPS STOPS WORKING!!! Can you believe it? I tested it several times, enabling and disabling the network, seeing when the GPS works and when it doesn't. It is definitely dependent on the Sprint Mobile Network being enabled.

My next test is to go to a location that I know doesn't get Sprint reception, leave the Sprint network enabled, and see if the GPS works. I live in Los Angeles, so this may be a little difficult, in spite of what J.D. Powers and Associates has to say. If somebody in a more rural area, with known locations where there is no Sprint reception, can also perform this test, we can verify my findings.

So, what difference does it make if the 8830 has on-board GPS enabled and can only determine your location with the network enabled vs. an 8830 with GPS disabled and can (soon) only determine your location with the network enabled? It looks like Sprint has pacified us by saying the GPS is enabled, whereas Verizon has angered everybody by disabling it and refusing to enable it.